Titanium vs. Gold Plate - Philosophy ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Pack

I recently found the need to visit an orthopedic surgeon for an old knee problem (old injury AND old knees). While we were talking, I admired a burl pen he had. He indicated how much he enjoyed it, but pointed out that he was very disatisfied with the way the clip was wearing...the gold plating was all but gone, and the metal was starting to pit.

I told him about the differences between the gold, titanium, platinum, chrome, etc. platings and how they wear differently. One thing led to another, and I ended up with an order for a titanium or platinum (my choice) rollerball before I left.

This encounter, the disappointment with a hand-made pen that was wearing too quickly, made me start thinking once again of the dilemma I face when making what I think are pretty darn good pens for sale at craft shows. Knowing my crowd pretty well (80% blue collar, 15% "professional" with lots of money or credit, 5% who don't blink an eye at ANY price), I pretty much find a price point beyond which sales almost disappear - $20 for a slimline, $30 for a larger pen. In order to sell at or below this price point, I have been making mostly the "upgrade gold" kits, knowing they would wear eventually. My preference, though, is to make titanium or platinum kits that will survive without wear for much, much longer. The problem is that, to the customer's eye, they look they same, so it is hard to justify the extra $5-$10 per pen for titanium. Most people just will not pay for the titanium because they don't see the difference. On the other hand, I am not going to sell titanium for the cost of gold plated.

So, do I offer gold plated pens, which will wear more quickly, but cost less (the price point) or do I offer titanium which wear much better, but cost more to produce? I figure I need the same amount of profit to make and sell each pen. Only the materials and final cost are different.

I am curious what the rest of you do about this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Joe,

This is an excellent topic! Thank you for bringing it up.

I just don't buy anything gold plated anymore. It just isn't worth it. The Titanium, if I can find it at a reasonable price, I still use. One of my favorite Slimline kits is the PSI in Titanium which I get from Ryan for under $3 a kit (or thereabouts). But Titanium plating on the "bigger" kits is just almost cost prohibitive, so I don't use it much.

What I have done is switched to chrome plating when it is available. Yes, it's white instead of yellow, but chrome is much more durable than than gold, and is still in the same price range. I've been making a lot of the Berea Streamlined Slimline inthe chrome, and they are fantastic! The chrome looks good with almost any material. The only problem is that many buyers think gold is "sexy" and chrome is not.

The Platinum Series finish (Rhodium) from Craft Supplies is one of my favorites, but again is cost prohibitive, except for one thing. You CAN charge more for a pen with Platinum finish because "Platinum" is perceived as being even sexier than gold. If I could only make one pen kit for the rest of my life, I would choose the Platinum Father Sing kit from CSUSA in a heartbeat! Good thing I don't have to make that choice.

As far as pricing your pens, only you and your customers know what the market will bear. If $30 is your normal top limit, maybe you can squeeze in a pen that has a "Durable Gold Appointments" for $32.95. And maybe that extra $2.95 will be enough to allow you to buy the titanium kit instead of gold.

One thing I have always beleived is that if we are going to be making pens for people to buy, we owe it to ourselves to make sure that pen is the best we can do. No half-ass efforts, and this includes the plating on the kit. If we make less money, or even if we sell no pens because of this, then so be it. The price of everything is going up, people will understand if a $30 pen is now $32.

I've rambled enough. What does everybody else think?

Scott.

its_virgil

I make and sell only durable platings. I tell customers up front that the platings are durable and I could make and sell less expensive pens but the gold will be gone in a manner of just a few months. I carry a pen that has the gold worn off and an identical one in TiAu to show the difference. I will make a less durable pen if I must but do not guarantee the platings or even suggest that they will last. I try to make the customer understand that the gold will vanish. I have found that adding 4 or 5 dollars to the price of a pen has not been a deterant once I've explained the difference in the platings. I also like the platinum, chrome, black titanium, but not the painted coatings. The satin and other platings similar seem not to wear very sell either. I have not bought any of the Berea kits in rose gold, sterling silver and the other very expensive platings.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

wayneis

I buy them all and sell them all. I do not sell a pen for less than $35.00 with most at $45 to $55 and above. A TG Flat top with initials in finial goes for $55 and a JR. Gent I get $75, Gent $89 for either platinum or TG. I keep busy and most of the time have orders waiting for me to do.

Wayne Swindlehurst

How fortunate that you have such a good market! I like your prices too as I get a little discouraged at those selling pens for $15-20. Especially when you go to a craft show and someone says "I saw these same kind of pens bla bla bla for $20 last week"! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Wayne, I wish I could get those prices here in Western MD... living in a farm community, the incomes and spending habits leave a bit to be desired.. the people love handmade items and really like to buy.. but the economy is so depressed it makes a craftsman sick.. I have only been selling my pens for about 4 months now.
Fortunately, I am the only one in the area that seems to do wooden art and crafting... so I have a good following... as long as I keep my prices lower..
I end up selling an upgrade gold slimline or streamline for $20 and TN's and chromes for $25. Euro's, American's and other larger pens may bring as much as $40... and I am using all good woods.. not just domestics...
Kind of makes you want to cry sometimes...
Of course if I wanted to drive 2 hours to Baltimore or DC and spend $250 for a weekend craft booth, I could probably double my prices... but it aint worth it..

barrybits

I know there are a lot of personal preferences, but which supply house has the best (most durable) finishes that I can depend upon being high quality so that my customers end up with a long-lasting pen. I have used Craft Supplies and have been happy witht he titanium and platinum, but I'm sure there are other good suppliers also. I went through other platings like the 24K when I first started, but quickly found out that these were not very good, except for display.
Thanks.

timdaleiden

I recently changed my "lifetime guarantee" claim for the 24 kt platings on my website. I replaced it with a warning about the plating showing wear eventually.

I still wonder how fast the plating fades under various circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom