Titanium & Ti-Gold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

What is the difference between Titanium and Ti-gold plating. I see there is a black titanium which i can see the difference there.

Thanks

Rich H.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nothing

If the plating just says Titanium it is a gold color (like the titanium drill bits so common now) and might well be what someone else would call TI Gold.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What is the difference between Titanium and Ti-gold plating. I see there is a black titanium which i can see the difference there.

Thanks

Rich H.

Rich,

I have used "TiGold" for quite a while, now. Main reason is to differentiate between that and BlackTi.

Honestly, I don't understand the use of "titanium" as it applies to black titanium, but when you get pen components from us, we hope you receive what you expected----keeps the complaints down:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

DurocShark

The way it was 'splained to me is the gas used during the plating process changes the color of the titanium plating.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Black TN

The way it was 'splained to me is the gas used during the plating process changes the color of the titanium plating.

Titanium Nitride (including Gold TN) is a ceramic not a metal but it has a lot of properties of a metal. The natural color is gold.

Black TN differs a little chemically from Gold....
Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Black TN. My highlights.

"Other commercial variants

There are several commercially-used variants of TiN that have been developed in the past decade, such as titanium carbon nitride (TiCN), titanium aluminium nitride (TiAlN or AlTiN), and titanium aluminum carbon nitride, which may be used individually or in alternating layers with TiN. These coatings offer similar or superior enhancements in corrosion resistance and hardness, and additional colors ranging from light gray to nearly black, to a dark iridescent bluish-purple depending on the exact process of application. These coatings are becoming common on sporting goods, particularly knives and handguns, where they are used for both cosmetic and functional reasons.[9]"

Top Bottom