tired of slimlines need advce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck B

Guy's I have a question I've done a few slimlines & I would like to do something a little beefier? thicker. I do like the twist type pens. Any advice on what type to get & where to get them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dolphinjon

I'm still pretty new at this, but I've tried a lot of the less expensive kits. I originally learned to turn European and slimlines and I still like both, but I've really learned to like cigar pens. My dad really pushed me to make some so he could have some big pens to write with and we both really like them. In addition, out of all the pens I've sold, which granted are not too many, cigars are about the most popular. Plus I really like the parker style refil they take. It seems to write much more smoothly than the cross refill.
Oh, and I just started turning Barons. If you want a nice roller ball kit with a screw cap, it's the tops! Plus, the chrome plated Baron kits aren't that pricy.
Oh, and I've orderd from both Arizona Silhouette and CSUSA and both had great customer service. I've orderd from PSI, but they took foreve to ship and the Woodcraft near my house is pretty pricey. I can get the same kits and blanks cheaper from AS and CSUSA with minimal waiting for shipping
Sorry that was so long!

Jonathan

dubdrvrkev

A good step from there is a cigar pen I usually get mine from www.arizonasilhouette.com You'll here that refered to as BB (owner Bill Baumbeck) or AS. You could also try a El Grande ballpoint, I haven't done one of those but if its anything like the rollerball you have pretty thin walls on the wood when you're done.

its_virgil

Have you "beefed up" any slimlines or just turned them bushing to bushing. The slimline is the most versatile of any of the kit pens we make. I have a photo album with nothing but slimlines, but some don't look anything like slimnlines. Take a look if you're interested at
http://tinyurl.com/dhy9j or a beefier twist pen would be (1) cigar,(2) El Grande ball point, (3) Jr Gent ball point, (4) euro, (5) americana, (6) Havana ball point, (7) perfect fit convertible, (8) elegant american, (9) olympia, and (10) the streamlined slimline. All of these kits are two piece twist kits and are available from either http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com or http://www.arizonasilhouette.com . In fact, some of these pens transcend all suppliers (like the cigar, euro, and americana) and other kits are supplier specific. Have fun and I hope you find the beefed up pen you are looking for.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by recon
<br />Guy's I have a question I've done a few slimlines & I would like to do something a little beefier? thicker. I do like the twist type pens. Any advice on what type to get & where to get them?

Thumbs

If you're good with Slimlines and want to do something easy pick up some "Comfort" pens, just leave off the rubber grip section and it makes a nice thicker Slimline style pen very easily. Cigars are probably next easiest to make. You might give Fritz a call at WoodTurningz for better prices than PSI. But as said before, you can do a lot with a Slimline. Check out Russ Fairfield's penturning info.

challagan

I started turning pens in January. I don't like to turn plain old slimlines anymore either. You want a nice slimline, try the PSI Comfort Pen. It uses the same guts except the bushings are bigger in the middle. You don't have to use the rubber piece. They make a nice elegant ballpoint in my opinion.

I also like to turn the cigars, very easy to turn. I would buy the Berea kits though. I have bought the Berea Flat Top American Ball points and rollerballs, the ball points are tricky but look nice. I want to do some Euro's as well. Also the Baron Pens at AZ Sil have a good rep and make nice looking roller balls and fountain pens.

Also you can take those slimline kits and make some modifieds with wider top on them. Several here have shown modified slimlines in the last couple of weeks. I buy my Berea kits at AZ Silohuette and my PSI kits from Woodturningz.com... very good service!

Hope this helps.
Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom