Tips for Glow Stonez? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Default Tips for Glow Stonez?

Tonight I started working on completing an order of pens made of Glow Stonez from Wood Turningz. The blanks are definitely turning differently from the AA that I am used to. I have tried both carbide and HSS but the material seems to come off as a powder/dust rather than chips or ribbons. Does anyone have advice for turning and/or finishing these blanks? Also, for my future reference what kind of material are these?
ghansen4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2017, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Donít hesitate to give them a call at WoodTurningz. They can offer tips on the best ways to turn all of their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-03-2017, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Turned a couple of these blanks a few years back with my carbide tools. Yes, I did notice mostly just "powdery" material as opposed to ribbons coming off. I dry sanded with my usual sequence up to 600 grit and wet sanded with MM thru 12,000, then polished with Novus 2.
What I noticed was a difference in the glow intensity between the upper and lower barrels. I believe they were Jr. Gent II pens and I suspect the "glow" material was not evenly distributed throughout the blank material. This also happened on a couple of PSI's M3 Ti Mokume pen rods I turned around the same time. So, my recommendation is to use a pen kit where the upper and lower barrels are the same diameter (or as close as possible). Or, use a single tubed pen kit. Maybe others have noticed this uneven distribution of material within the blank or hopefully there have been improvements in casting during the past few years.
Jeff
Skeleton2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I have turned many of these. They can be powdery, but turn and finish nicely for me. I have used carbides and HSS. I personally prefer HSS at 2200 rpms; I haven't used carbide in over 2 years (just a personal preference). I sand to 2000, polish/ buff using my 4 stage thing, and then add a coat of synthetic wax. Before I started using polishing and buffing compounds, I used moistened MM and Maguire's 105 and 205. I have found kids and adults to like them. Many of the adults do not even know they glow in the dark. They happen to like the patterns. There must be dozens of ways to approach this. Mine are just a two.

Much success!

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads