Tip: Using borg nylon spacers to convert Parker refill to fit Jr Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

Like some others, I actually prefer a ballpoint over the rollerballs. However, I also really like the classy look of the capped pens. I've read several posts advising spacers to do the conversion (and thanks to all those folks!). I tried Parker springs on the end but couldn't overcome the strength of the Jr Gent II top (opposite the pen tip) spring. I thought about using a dowel or brass rod and drilling a hole but I found these nylon spacers at Lowe's. They are 1/4" X 1" long and already have a hole drilled. I cut off a piece (0.15 - 0.18") to slip over the Parker pen point to emulate the shoulder on a rollerball. I used one of the Sierra button click spacers for the top but you could use ~0.5" nylon for that, too. There is a bit of "give" on the ballpoint but not annoying for the pressure I use to write. Just use the nylon for the top and adjust to remove any slack if you have a heavy-handed writer (1/2" did this for me as the nylon is a bit larger diameter than the Sierra spacer).

Sorry if this tip has been posted before (I saw a reference to making spacers on the Yahoo site but I'm not a member there so could not confirm how they recommended making spacers).

I also want to try some of the purpose-built Cross conversion refills but don't want to pay shipping just for one of those. Anyone actually tried these and do they work without adding springs or spacers?

IMG_6191.jpg
IMG_6195.jpg

Top Bottom