tip for my 1st cigar..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Guys drop your pointers for me here if you would.. I have a rough turned blank of olive wood on my lathe. I have not done a cigar before and due to a time restraint, I do not have time for any screw ups! I made a nice maple slimline pen spacer for my mill, right at 9mm that fits like a glove. The milling went perfect and I have the bushings correct.

I have the long tube towards the headstock and set up like this.

(headstock0 .46 [long tube].53 then .58[short tube].48 (tailstock)

This is correct, right?? Please any tips on oilve wood or cigar pens would be greatly appreciated. Tips on shape ect..

I need this done for Saturday as a present and have never turned olive wood or a cigar pen, only slimlines.. Tips on putting it togather?? This is a Berea kit, btw

Thanks is advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fuzzydog

You will downloadable instructions at: http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Instructions.h

What little oilve that I've turned was so beautiful in its natural state that it lead me to only oil as a finish. Just sand to super fine grit and oil.
My opinion

gerryr

Check some of the photo albums for how people shape cigar pens. They don't tend to look very good when turned straight B2B, they look kind of emaciated. You have the bushings set up correctly, BTW. I agree with fuzzydog about finish on olivewood. I've used both lacquer and CA on BOW, but now I just sand to 1500 and apply a couple of coats of TSW, buffing each one. Olivewood turns easily.

Nolan

I think as stated before that straight B2B kinda looks funny so I put slight bulge in center of blanks. I personally like to finish in CA or Enduro, both go on super easy on Olivewood. But for the most part the people that are buying my pens dont seem to care for the "natural" finish.

Nolan

ncseeker

I've done Olivewood using only TSW and also CA. I prefer the CA. The pen I did using only TSW did not stand up too good. The five I've done in CA have stood the test of time. The downside of CA is, of course, the plastic feel. But they do shine !!

I agree that a slight curve is better than straight B2B. Be careful that you don't get too carried away with it or you'll have a pen that everyone says it too big and heavy.

You'll also enjoy the smell as you turn it. [:D]

Firefyter-emt

Yea, the stuff stinks, eh? I don't have any TSW yet, I forgot to add it in my last order. How about tung oil instead of the lacquer?? That would help my dry time a lot.. All I have is the Flombys high gloss stuff in the shop

Randy_

Originally posted by ncseeker
<br />I've done Olivewood using only TSW and also CA...the pen I did using only TSW did not stand up too good....

TSW is "NOT" meant to be a finish!! It is a top coat to be put on over a finish to give some protection and that last little bit of extra shine.

Firefyter-emt

Well the deed is done, came out decent I think, I have 5 coats of lacquer on it now. I did learn that the larger pens can not be done will on the PSI mandral. Way too much slop in the bushings, I did not notice it untill I was sanding. Does Berea or CSUSA make a new mandral shaft that will work with the collet chuck style PSI mandral? I have play room in the collett.. I need to look into that. I Would rather buy a new shaft than the whole mandral, I like the PSI collet chuck design. I hate to rush this one becuase I have to sand & buff the lacquar in just a couple of days..[:(!]
Hopefully it holds...

Anything to keep in mind when putting it togather??

pssherman

Lee,
I had a similar problem with slop in cigar bushings. I was using Berea A (Rockler) bushings and a PSI mandrel. I think that the Berea A mandrel is slightly larger than the PSI mandrel. I removed the slop by wrapping a single layer of paper on the mandrel and then slid the bushing onto it. This produced a snug fit and a perfect fit in the pen. You might try this before buying another shaft.

Paul in AR

Firefyter-emt

Good minds think alike! I have been slightly displeased with the Berea cheapie slimlines.. (from AZ) I have to insert a thin strip of post-it note under the centerband due to slop. But at $1.55 a piece I am drawn to buying them anyway! I have thought about doing the same on the cigar. I had not noticed it untill I went to loosen them so I could line up the grain to sand. Oh well, it came out good I have picked out a chrome kit that looks the best agianst the wood color.. I will add a photo Saturday, way to early to wet sand & buff, but I have no option.. But on a good note, my AZ order came in today with the pen case for it!

Firefyter-emt

Good minds think alike! I have been slightly displeased with the Berea cheapie slimlines.. (from AZ) I have to insert a thin strip of post-it note under the centerband due to slop. But at $1.55 a piece I am drawn to buying them anyway! I have thought about doing the same on the cigar. I had not noticed it untill I went to loosen them so I could line up the grain to sand. Oh well, it came out good I have picked out a chrome kit that looks the best agianst the wood color.. I will add a photo Saturday, way to early to wet sand & buff, but I have no option.. But on a good note, my AZ order came in today with the pen case for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom