Time for a new mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nick Rocco

I recently returned to turning pens after a long break. I noticed that things seem to be a little off so I checked my mandrel with a dial indicator only to find that it is bent. So I am in the market for a new mandrel.

With so many mandrels on the market these days I am hoping for some recommendation and maybe even some mandrels to avoid. I would like a mandrel with a #2 morse taper to fit my Jet JWL-1442VS lathe.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

I use an adjustable mandrel on the same lathe. The way I check is to take only the mandrel rod itself and roll it across something that is perfectly flat like a piece of glass. Any thumping and it's out of round. Same with running it bare in the lathe and resting a tool on it. Any thumping is OOR. Woodcraft sells them for a few bucks and I keep a few spares.

Buy Replacement Mandrel Shaft at Woodcraft.com

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Check to see if your morse taper is clean. Some build up will cause a mandrel to be off.
Also. If you have a collet chuck., you can use/buy just the mandrel shaft.

qquake

I've tried the mandrel savers from both PSI and CSUSA. I don't really like using either of them. Can't get the blank tight enough with them, and I don't like putting that much pressure on my headstock bearings. But I know a lot of pen turners use and love them. I will say that in my opinion the CSUSA version is higher quality than the PSI. Its longer tapered nose also allows more clearance on the right side of the blank. It's now only $30, $10 less than it used to be.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/16/5492/Precision-Machine-Pen-Center?term=machine center

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMSTS2.html

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 111
  • mandrel-saver7.jpg
    mandrel-saver7.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 111

bobleibo

I've never understood the need for a mandrel saver. I use a live center and only put enough pressure on it to keep the end of the rod running true.

mecompco

TBC

Have you considered ditching the mandrel entirely? No worries about bending it if you're not using it. Granted, it is a bit more work when making two tube pens, but not so bad. About the only bushings you can't use are Slimline (I ended up making my own for TBC). For best fit, take a center drill and put a 60* taper on the end of each bushing and use your dead and live centers to turn. Just a thought.

Regards,
Michael

Joey-Nieves

The mandrel saver switches the pressure from the mandrel shat to the blanks, this avoids bowing the shaft when over tightening the nut. you can bow the mandrel shat if you apply excessive pressure on the saver but usually it is a much higher pressure than with the nut.
That being said, one must use what makes you feel more comfortable. I turn between centers whenever I can but sometime you need to use the mandrel.
Either way safety is usually in you comfort zone

low_48

I've not met a mandrel rod that could not be straightened. i bring up a pencil point to a spinning rod. Shut off the lathe, and rotate the pencil mark to the top, and tap with a hammer. Keep repeating until the pencil line goes nearly all the way around. It works out just fine.

Paul in OKC

Don't turn much anymore, but still turn on the old fashioned mandrel set up, mostly. I do one or two pens with between center bushings. Never had much if any trouble. And if bent, just straighten it and go on!

Nick Rocco

Thanks for all of the input!
Although I like the idea of the mandrel saver, I was bit impatient and picked up a Whiteside adjustable mandrel from my local Woodcraft store. It is built like a tank and made in the USA which makes it worth a few extra bucks.
I may still pickup the mandrel saver in the future but I like the idea of turning between centers. I just need to do a little more research before I am ready to make the jump.

Top Bottom