Time to make myself a nice pen....Help me..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

I have been using pens that are by my standards, rejects and something I won't sell to someone. I have decided its high time to make myself a pen that is of the quality I demand :biggrin:. I really like Barons, and they are the only capped pen style I make. I ask all of you folks on here, What would YOU recommend? It has to be capped AND Fountain, as I love fountain pens. Im going to use either Buckeye Burl or 2 tone Amboyna burl....unless again someone has a better choice of wood that would compliment a certain pen style and plating. Im not against getting a whole new set of bushings to accomidate a pen other than a baron......so what do you think??
What Kit?
What plating?
What wood?

I know with all the creative minds on here I'm sure I will come up with something nice. Thanks to all that help me out by responding your ideas.:)
Darrin

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pentex

I use and make the Sedona FP. It is almost the same as the Baron, except the end is round. I sell quite a few of these and I have three that are my personal pen. One is segmented wood and two are acrylics.

DurocShark

I saw Dayacom makes a fountain pen version of the Zen, which is currently my favorite pen to write with. Plus the long barrel makes for a terrific showcase for a nice burl.

Russianwolf

I like the Baron and Sedona, but I won't get anything but the Chrome versions since the black couplers wear too quickly.

If you want higher class, go for the CSUSA kits (or their equivalents from Aaron) Jr. Gent, Jr. Statesman, etc. In the premium platings the couplers are plated with matching metal, so less wear.

Someone mentioned that Aaron will be offering the Fountain version of the Stretch Rollerball that he already offers. I'm eagerly waiting for this kit myself. (Read, hurry it up Aaron! :biggrin:) It will be a great kit to show-off the wood.

Now as far as wood and finish. Two-tone Amboyna burl with a nice deep lacquer finish.............
3.gif

CaptG

Jr. Emperor in rhodium and gold, two tone Amboyna burl from Nolan, a CA finish, and to really set it off, a gold nib from Lou or Anthony. It just won't get much better. IMHO.

Darrin

I have been leaning to the CSUSA Kits myself, just some of them seem rather large so a Jr. model is probably a good fit. Not sure who Aaron is. The upgraded nib is a given :) Good ideas so far......keep 'em comming :)

jclark58

I recently faced a similar decision, one of my neighbors and good friends is moving away and I want to make him a special pen before he leaves (and while I'm at it I'm going to do one for myself as well). I recently found some unique curly/quilted Mesquite and really wanted to show off as much wood as possible. I settled on a full sized Gentlemen's pen in Rhodium from CSUSA. I considered the full size Statesman as well as the Jr sizes of both and ended up going with the full size Gent after weighing size and cost. I went with a rollerball rather than a fountain pen as I know he's much more likely to use a rollerball on a regular basis.

The kits arrived in the mail this afternoon, along with a couple other goodies. Now i have to find the shop time to actually get them done.

Jason

mick

Darrin IMHO(which my wife says is never humble) I don't think you can go wrong with the CSUSA's Jr Statesman. I've got a couple as my personal pens and wouldn't carry anything else. My choice would be the two toned Amboyna with a Rhodium and gold kit.

Darrin

Thanks for the input folks. What I have decided on is a Rhodium/22k Gold Statesman....the full size. I'll be using some Amboyna Burl with sapwood, the nicest piece I can find. I'll finish it off with a fine tipped nib from Lou. With any luck I will have the pen mae in about a week and a half. Thanks again guys, this was really fun with everyones help.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Top Bottom