TIME

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Neodon1

Hello All,

Oh Woe is me, I started out getting a lathe to make fishing lures which I still will do, but I really am quite in love literally with making pens. Problem being, with my job and studying for certifications, I only have time to turn pens on the weekends. I need not tell you that that weekend time is very limited, with family and taking care of a home.

Well that's it, just wanted to vent some, for I have found a great
group of people to share and learn with at this glorious turning
place I now call home - "and that's all I have to say about that."
'Forest Gump'

NeoDon1 [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I usually go to the shop and turn for an hour at 4:00 am, sometimes 3:00 am if I'm building inventory for a show. I can usually find time for a hour or so of turning in the early evening. Weekends are great, I can have 4-5 hours of turning in by 9:00 am. I know what you mean by problems with finding time, but pen turning doesn't pay the bills or help kids with homework.

igran7

I feel your pain Donald :( I too have to squeeze it in when I can, I am a single father of a 15 year old and work 40+ hours a week at a regular job. It sure is nice when I can duck away for a couple of hours to unwind in the shop!:D

constamj

I have to agree with this one. I love turning and there is never enough time to get in the shop. With a 19 month old and a very pregnant wife, the honey do list just seems to grow. Full time work and full time school take up the rest. Oh well!!!

redfishsc

Originally posted by Neodon1

Hello All,

Oh Woe is me, I started out getting a lathe to make fishing lures which I still will do, but I really am quite in love literally with making pens. Problem being, with my job and studying for certifications, I only have time to turn pens on the weekends. I need not tell you that that weekend time is very limited, with family and taking care of a home.

Well that's it, just wanted to vent some, for I have found a great
group of people to share and learn with at this glorious turning
place I now call home - "and that's all I have to say about that."
'Forest Gump'

NeoDon1 [8D]

Brother I feel your pain. Try adding to that list taking a full load of M.Div Seminary courses and having a pregnant wife! I haven't turned a pen since January and I am going through withdrawal!

BrentK

I do understand but I have more time than most. I work in the Gulf of Mexico on oil rigs. I work on 24 hour call when phone rings I have an hour to get to work. But on the other hand when I am home I am home. May be one day may be five days I just take advantage of it while I can.

OKLAHOMAN

Ahh!Ahhh!Ahhhh! retirement I love it,they talked me into working 4 mornings from 6-12 gives me 3 day week-ends and few hours a day for pens.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I used to be retired . Then I took up pen turning at my cousins suggestion . I now have to work to support my addiction . But , I'm not complaining . Like Neodon , I too love it here . In fact , while I'm here I would like to acknowledge all that I have learned here from all the members who have given their time to post all the different answers to all the questions , that have improved my skills as a penturner . I'm not what I will consider good , but I remember where I was when I found this site . It would take a long time to name all the members . I would just like to say , THANK YOU to the founders and the skillful TEACHERS of this wonderful site . I have been here everyday since I joined up . Thanks to all of you , here in the states & abroad . [8D][8D][8D]

Neodon1

They say misery loves company, Their right
but it's nice to know I’m not alone in my desires
and the pains of it's pursuit is surely comforting.

Believe me guy's and gal's I too feel your pain yet
it is all to well worth it when even in the haste of
pressed time, we rightfully wonder in amazement and pride
as we gaze upon some of our creations and say to ourselves
" I made This?, Wow , I did make this! Nice...

There is and artist in each of us here, a Gift from God
that every time we turn out a work of art, pays tribute
to God’s gift and proves there is so much more to our
selves than our 9 to 5 acting could ever reveal .

Neodon1[8D]

Neodon1

They say misery loves company, Their right
but it's nice to know I’m not alone in my desire
and the pains of it's pursuit is surely comforting.

Believe me guy's and gal's I too feel your pain yet
it is all to well worth it when even in the haste of
pressed time, we rightfully wonder in amazement and pride
as we gaze upon some of our artistic creations and say to
ourselves " I made This?, Wow , I did make this! Nice...

There is and artist in each of us here, a Gift from God
that every time we turn out a work of art, pays tribute
to God’s gift and proves there is so much more to our
selves than our 9 to 5 acting could ever reveal .

Turn Baby Turn ...
Neodon1[8D]

PostalBob

Me Retired, Found this great hobby over a year ago. and like other memebers said if it were not for the great posting and advise from so many good standing memebers I might have given it up. But now 15 months later doing what I love. And when I say love it,:) I do, being in my shop is my time. I sometimes forget time trying to make that one special pen. The Mrs is not retired and allows me to spend as much time as I like out there. Not into profit turning, have done well but it is too me a hobby that never stops learning, and each time I get on the site I learn a little more, For that, Thanks to all the great advise and help.
And no i dont miss working.
Enjoy the ride....

sam

I too am retired. I just started this love affair about 6 weeks ago. I have never been artistic, but I am beginning to get that feeling now after I have completed my "BEST TO DATE" CREATION. I also give many thanks to all who post here. I beleive that I have learned more here than I could in any books. It also is a big bennifit to have my lovly bride of 37 years giving me support and encouragement. She is already dreaming up some pr blanks we can create togeather.

egerm

I know how you fill I have 4 kids 15 to 5 years old work 40+ hr teach High school sunday school Jr high/high school youth group,and AWANS.Oh we also Homeschool all four kids .when i don"t have time to turn i find the next best thing is this site it seems to be the closes i can get some times

Top Bottom