from Arizona Silhouette and the cap is a beautiful golden brown color
and the bottom barrel looks exactly like maple burl, this has nothing
to do with the finish as this happened right after I started turning
it, anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thuya burl is a strange beast. The burl is actually a growth on the root system. Since the "burl" (I'm not sure that is an accurate term, but the meaning is clear) grows undergrown and the tree grows exclusively in the Atlas mountains, it is subject to many changing conditions such as drought, runoff and leaching. It's color ranges from near black to rich cognac brown to deep red. The burls can also have mottled colors which is how yours sounds. In any case, I'd love to see a picture. It's one of the most beautiful and different woods in the world.

scasey88

Thanks for the replies guys, my first thought was it had something to
do with the stabilazation process that didnt quite go right, but I was dissapointed because I had high hopes for that blank.
Lou, here is a pic, bad one I know, but I dont have alot of time
right now
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/scasey88/Picture007.jpg

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
WOW! That looks great. It sure looks like heartwood/sapwood. I hope ANY of my blanks come out like that. I'll post a pic of my latest Thuya burl pen tonight for comparison.

chigdon

I think it looks great too even though I understand your concern. The wonders of wood; it's one of a kind. Nice wood to turn though -- never turned any that was stabilized though.

scasey88

thanks for the compliments, it is a nice looking pen, but i am not
that fond of maple burl which the bottom barrel resembles.
Lou, I will look forward to seeing your Thuya burl.
thanks again......Shawn

Joe Melton

The "burr" actually grows on the roots of the Thuya tree (most "burls" grow on the sides of the tree, above ground). Most of the Thuya trees have been cut down, and used in the building of houses, but many burrs remain underground, waiting to be found. I've seen quite a few of the burrs, cut up, and have never seen this difference in colors within one burr. Also, since the wood in a burr is so twisted, I doubt the concept of sap- and heartwood would really apply.
But, I don't know what would cause the difference in colors you have experienced. I assume you got the blank as a single stick rather than as a set (in which case, two different-colored pieces could have been inadvertently mixed). Since the colors are completely separated, I'd venture to guess it has to do with your finishing. Maybe you put blo on one side and not the other? Is it possible that you got the cut pieces mixed up with some maple or other species?
I suggest you send a photo to BB and ask him what he thinks. I'd be curious to know what you find out, because this is interesting!
Joe

scasey88

Joe...yes the pen came from one blank, and i am positive I didnt
get some maple mixed up with it as I dont even have any maple burl
right now, but I agree with you about the complete seperation of colors it would have to have been cut in exactly the right spot or the colors would fade into the next piece. But this hapened right after I started turning and finish ever touched it. If I didnt know
better I wouldnt beleive it was the same piece of wood. After I noticed the color difference I stopped the lathe to look at it and I noticed a small chunk missing from the cap piece and filled it with ca and sawdust but the color difference was already present. The good
news is though, I took the pen to work yesterday and someone already
wants to buy it.

scasey88

Lou...both of those pens are beautiful, thanks for the link and that
was the results that I was hoping for, but thats wood and you never
know whats going to happen when you cut into it, I love it.

Fangar

This was my Favorite Thuya Burl to date...

thuyaburlelegant.jpg

Yours looks great too. The wonder of the wood. Never know for sure what might turn out.

Cheers,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom