Threaded or non-threaded

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I saw some beautiful Lucite pen Roy made and did not want to steal the trend. so my question is:

Are non-postable roller-ball/fountain a better kit for sale than the postable roller-ball/fountain pens?

The reason behind the answer is what i'm seeking.

I personal like non-postable pens*. Its sleek looking, modern looking I prefer them because of those reasons.

Yet the con for it is you just might lost the cap.

What are your thoughts on this topic.....

* non-postable can also be closed end pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

I like the look of non-postable pens, but prefer the functionality of postable ones. I use a pen a lot at work and find it annoying to always have to remove the cap when I want to use it. Whenever I make one that is non-postable it is usually for my own collection that goes in my display cabinet. I find that most of my customers are the same way (after they realize that they can't just "pull" the cap off that is...). When they see one that is non-postable, they always ask "what am I supposed to do with the cap when I use it?"

PenMan1

My personal preference is the non-postable rollers and fountains. BUT, I sell postables about 10 to 1 over non-postables.

I never really tried to find out "why", I just try to make what sells.

LEAP

For my personal use it depends on the size of the pen. More specifically the length. A Baron for instance is too short without the posted cap for my hand while a Jr. is OK. My carry pens are usually postable while those that stay on my desk are not. I don't sell a lot of pens mostly friends and family so can't comment on sales.

aggromere

I like the functionality of the postable cap pens (jr. gent, jr statesman). However most of my pens are one piece twist Jr Gent. I recently started making non postable Jr. Gents and Jr. Statesman FP's to match some of the twist pens and bill them as "desk pens". I have sold a few, but that is all I have made so far is a few.

I find that the kit pens (I can't do kitless yet) are so top heavy that they are easier to write with without the cap. I also think they look better.

Just my 2 cents worth.

IPD_Mrs

I don't really care for a postable pen either. Yes the postable out sells the non. The only way to turn the tables is to have only postable available for sale. As soon as you do that, your next customer will want non!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You know what would be REALLY clever?
If the non-postable finial unscrewed to reveal the postable thread. Then any pen would suit all tastes.
There is no reason why they couldn't do it either, they would just need to form the finial with the same 3 starts. :rolleyes:

workinforwood

You know what would be REALLY clever?
If the non-postable finial unscrewed to reveal the postable thread. Then any pen would suit all tastes.
There is no reason why they couldn't do it either, they would just need to form the finial with the same 3 starts. :rolleyes:

That will certainly add some cost to the kits though. I like the idea..you can even expand on it by having finial on the cap unscrew with a little magnet perhaps under it, where you can stow the extra piece without it extending the cap length or interfering with the nib. This way if you decide you want postable, you don't have to throw out the cover piece, and you don't put it in a drawer for it to get lost. AND...just in case a button falls off your shirt, you have an emergency thimble to put on your finger so when you sew on the button you don't poke yourself. hmmm..now we need to stow a needle and thread in that pen too! :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, trust you to over complicate things!!! :biggrin::tongue:

Come back to us once you invent this fancy magnet that works on brass and we'll make it happen:tongue:

Parson

I'm learning that fountain pen buyers enjoy the balance of a non postable pen, but the rollerball people are always trying to put the cap on the back of a closed end or non postable pen.

So now I only make non postable pens with fountain nibs.

workinforwood

We'll make the pen from stainless. inside the end of the pen we'll have a little spool of thread with a coil spring to retract it, a hole for thread access and the refill spring in the middle of the thread spool, and the needle will clip up under the pen clip! It's genius!!! Lets make this a team event Steve. You get to work on the mechanical aspect, I'll start digging in the house here and find a magnet, some thread, and a needle for you...me being in charge of providing some of the necessary supplies. Let me consult with my wife as to which color thread would be most universal..perhaps do a government funded study while I'm at it. hey..I think my half of making this pen is more work than yours!

Sylvanite

I find that if a potential customer picks up a non-posting screw-top fountain or rollerball pen, he will immediately:
  1. Try to yank the cap off. After I yell at him not do that, and (if not already broken) he unscrews the cap, he will then:
  2. Try to post it. In doing so, he unfailingly presses the cap on as hard as possible, mashing the threads.
I have since taken to handing over pens individually, and demonstrating how each one works before letting go of them.

I prefer the look of a non-posting pen, but customers seem to expect them to post.

Regards,
Eric

OKLAHOMAN

I sell postable 200-1 over non postable in the Jr. series and of course non postable in the large Majestic's,Lotus,Imperial,Emperor etc. Most customers like the idea that "if" they want a non postable pen they just don't post it, but have the luxury of posting if needed. You have the best of both worlds with a postable pen. The only Jr. pens I have in inventory that are over 1 year old are 2 postable's out of 4 that I began the year with.

Top Bottom