Thread problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

I made a Jr. Statesman and am having problems with the cap posting on the end. Just one of the thread starts is causing the problem as the other 2 starts work fine. Also the cap closes cleanly on the nib end just fine with all 3 starts, the problem is only when posting on the end. The pen is a special order for a good customer made with one of John U's feather blanks and I really hate to risk taking it apart to try and fix it as I don't want to take a chance on damaging the blank. Does anyone know of a trick to fix a sticky thread?? I'm pretty sure the problem is with the center band coupler as I've tried using end caps from other kits and have the same problem. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I made a Jr. Statesman and am having problems with the cap posting on the end. Just one of the thread starts is causing the problem as the other 2 starts work fine. Also the cap closes cleanly on the nib end just fine with all 3 starts, the problem is only when posting on the end. The pen is a special order for a good customer made with one of John U's feather blanks and I really hate to risk taking it apart to try and fix it as I don't want to take a chance on damaging the blank. Does anyone know of a trick to fix a sticky thread?? I'm pretty sure the problem is with the center band coupler as I've tried using end caps from other kits and have the same problem. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Couple of observations in your statement to help you analyze and overcome the problem (we hope).

the cap closes cleanly on the nib end just fine with all 3 starts,
This is good!!

I really hate to risk taking it apart to try and fix it
Also, good, but indicates you have NOT "knocked out" any of the parts to replace.

I've tried using end caps from other kits and have the same problem.
If you have not "knocked out" any parts, you have not removed the threads, you have just changed the finial with the spring in it--would not have any effect on the "problem at hand".

Take a good look at the threads on the finial end, more than likely you will have to "clean them up" or remove a burr that is blocking proper engaging of the cap threads, which are very likely good or the first statement above could not occur.

Good luck!!

omb76

Couple of observations in your statement to help you analyze and overcome the problem (we hope).

the cap closes cleanly on the nib end just fine with all 3 starts,
This is good!!

I really hate to risk taking it apart to try and fix it
Also, good, but indicates you have NOT "knocked out" any of the parts to replace.

I've tried using end caps from other kits and have the same problem.
If you have not "knocked out" any parts, you have not removed the threads, you have just changed the finial with the spring in it--would not have any effect on the "problem at hand".

Take a good look at the threads on the finial end, more than likely you will have to "clean them up" or remove a burr that is blocking proper engaging of the cap threads, which are very likely good or the first statement above could not occur.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the help Ed. I should clarify though. I tried posting the cap onto other pens that are already made so the end cap is entirely different that way. Still the same problem. I think that the length of the nib has something to do with it when capping the pen in that it bring everything into alignment. It's almost as if the pen is not perfectly lined up when posting this one thread throws it off.

I've really just about had my fill of these Statesman/Gents lately. I can't be the only one having problems with the threads. I'm about ready to post the rest of the kits that I have in stock up for a trade.

InvisibleMan

~Small Sample Size Alert~

I've done 2 Jr. Statesmen and had 1 work perfectly (my first custom order! Woohoo!). The other will not post on the top of the pen at all - none of the starts work. It does close just fine on the nib end.

As this is my pen, and I don't like to post the cap anyway, I don't particularly care. I'm just glad it wasn't the "order" pen, as posting was one of the requirements for that one.

I REALLY hope this is not a common problem. I've got several nibbles on this style that'll eventually turn into orders.

omb76

~Small Sample Size Alert~

I've done 2 Jr. Statesmen and had 1 work perfectly (my first custom order! Woohoo!). The other will not post on the top of the pen at all - none of the starts work. It does close just fine on the nib end.

As this is my pen, and I don't like to post the cap anyway, I don't particularly care. I'm just glad it wasn't the "order" pen, as posting was one of the requirements for that one.

I REALLY hope this is not a common problem. I've got several nibbles on this style that'll eventually turn into orders.

I've never had this problem until recently and now I see it on almost every kit that I have. I'm particularly upset about one because it was a special order for my customer and the blanks used cost about $35. I didn't find out until I delivered it to the customer and she discovered the problem. :eek: It worked fine for me after assembling, I must have not hit that thread when testing the fit. If I can't get this one fixed then I promised I would give her my pheasant feather pen which does work right, but it has a couple of small scratches in the acrylic and on the clip from use so I have to take it apart and touch it up. Also give her a nice discount because it's a used pen. :mad:

Russianwolf

Ummm..... all three starts engage simultaneously regardless of position of the cap. The only thing that varies is the alignment of the cap to the base. So I'm not sure what's going on here when you say:

"Just one of the thread starts is causing the problem as the other 2 starts work fine"

If the cap is going on fine in position 1 and 2, but not 3, I'm dumbfounded.

omb76

Ummm..... all three starts engage simultaneously regardless of position of the cap. The only thing that varies is the alignment of the cap to the base. So I'm not sure what's going on here when you say:

"Just one of the thread starts is causing the problem as the other 2 starts work fine"

If the cap is going on fine in position 1 and 2, but not 3, I'm dumbfounded.

Example: I can post the cap say the first time and it will go on fine, I unscrew it just enough to get it off and so that the threads of the end cap will catch on another start of the CB and that is fine, but when I do it a third time like that the threads bind. Does that make sense?

PenMan1

Or.....You could just get yourself a Triton set. The Triton uses a bit shorter bottom barrel, the centerband and top cap are more ornate, and to date (over a year now), I've had no thread issues, no plating issues nor any of the issues associated with the Jr. Gents (which I had a bad 100 batch of those).

I've never had a single warranty issue with the Tritons. I did notice on my first build that the clip didn't fit quiet as sucurely as I like, so I used red Loctite at that joint (just as I always did with the JR's).

Several vendors carry the Trition. If memory serves me correctly, Exotic Blanks had the best quanity discount AND lower order amouts to get to the discount.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I just tried a Triton black plastic thread thingy on a set of Jr threads. Not only does it fit, it fits better.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Additionally with the Tritons, if you decide that you want to make your own material matching centerband and cap cover, this is the easiest "kit" that I have found for modification.

Respectfully submitted.

InvisibleMan

I have a couple Tritons. Haven't tried them out yet as I like the look of the Jr. Statesman better. I just took delivery of a bunch of Jr. Statesmen (Statesmans?) and Jr. Gents, so hoping for the best:bulgy-eyes:.

le_skieur

By a chance, If you have an other kit, try the center band on your finish pen. It had happens to me once, the center band tread is shorter compare to Statesman's, it as to have a perfect alligment.

InvisibleMan

Alright, I built my first Triton last night - the upgrade gold, whatever that means.

I have to say, I like it more than I thought I would. The finial coupler is a bit loose, so I'll have to glue that down. No biggie, although I hate when I have to do that.

The only thing I don't like is the spring seems to be a bit short or something. It rattles around in there. I stretched it out a bit and it seems OK now, so if that's all the trouble I think I have a winner.

I still like the looks of the Jr. Statesman better, but this is at least a very good option, and more cost friendly as well.

edit: And by the way, my Jr. Statesman cap twists right onto the finial of the Triton like it was meant to be.

Top Bottom