Thread marked nib and endcap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

After making and using a Jr Majestic for the last couple of months I have noticed a problem. The pen is postable and the plastic threads in the cap have scratched the Rhodim post, and at the nib end scratched the Rhodium section.

What solutions have worked for anyone?

thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by rlharding

After making and using a Jr Majestic for the last couple of months I have noticed a problem. The pen is postable and the plastic threads in the cap have scratched the Rhodim post, and at the nib end scratched the Rhodium section.

What solutions have worked for anyone?

thanks.
I have seen scratching on the section of my personal Rhodium Retro and also on a colleagues Statesman Jr. These scratches are circular, and I cannot believe that the plastic would do this. Maybe small particles, like sand or else, get somehow on the threads and then may scratch the section. Its a bit frustrating.....

Dan_F

I have a Retro that posts, but I never post the cap, it's way too unbalanced to write comfortably. I just usually hang onto the cap in my other hand if I'm just taking a note or two, or else stand it up on my writing surface or put it in my shirt pocket. Without the cap on the post, the pen is perfectly balanced. Try it, you might become a convert.

Dan

Randy_

As I recall, rhodium is one of the harder platings available to us. There is no way a plactic thread is going to scratch rhodium. I think Rudy may have the explanation for your problem. Don't know what the solution might be.

Ligget

Ruth I have a chrome Baron fountain pen which is badly scratched by the threads of the cap. The cap internal threads are nice and clean so I cannot see where the problem lies. [xx(]:)

The scratches are all the way around the grip, very hard to photograph though!:)

2008531163249_PICT0049.jpg

2008531163659_PICT0054.jpg

MobilMan

I cannot believe that the plastic would do this". But it will. Look at what people do to their windshields in the winter with a plastic scrapper to get rid of ice. Z Z Z marks gouged into the glass. Under certain circomstances, plastic can scratch most ANY surface.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by ligget

Ruth I have a chrome Baron fountain pen which is badly scratched by the threads of the cap. The cap internal threads are nice and clean so I cannot see where the problem lies. [xx(]:)

The scratches are all the way around the grip, very hard to photograph though!:)

2008531163249_PICT0049.jpg

2008531163659_PICT0054.jpg

This looks similar to my scratches on the Retro section in rhodium plating.

rlharding

The pics show what I have but I can't imagine it would be debris of some kind in the threads. This hasn't happened on any of my other pens. I both blow out the cap and also run a q-tip on the thread section before I put them together. These circular scratches also didn't happen until a few weeks after daily use. I guess it can be said that the debris may have come in contact with the threads at a later time, but again, I have made pens many, many times and this scratch is only with this one pen.

Any other ideas?
Any solutions?
I don't want to make any to sell until I can figure out what is causing it.

thanks.

ldb2000

From where those scratches are I would say that its not the threads that causing them , it's the top end of the threaded insert that is causing them .
On the Majestics that I looked at there is an extended sleeve above the threads (deeper in the tube) and you may have either got something stuck in there or have a nick in the plastic thats rubbing against the nib housing and that portion of the sleeve ends just about where your scratches are
Hope this helps

jeffj13

Call me crazy, but isn't there going to be some "wear and tear" on an item that you use every day? It would be nice if our pens remained in pristine condition, but, unless you keep in in a glass case and don't use it, I'm not sure that the reality.

jeff

Ligget

Originally posted by jeffj13

Call me crazy, but isn't there going to be some "wear and tear" on an item that you use every day? It would be nice if our pens remained in pristine condition, but, unless you keep in in a glass case and don't use it, I'm not sure that the reality.

jeff

Jeff this pen I have (pictured) has never been used, the scratches appeared almost instantly when the cap was first put on, I was keeping it for myself as I will never sell it due to the problem!:)

rlharding

My pen is a high end pen, I would expect there to be wear and tear if it had been around a while, not after a couple of months.I can't attach a high end price to a pen that is scratched after such a short time.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It is highly unlikely that the scratches shown on Mark's pen came from the threads. When screwing the cap on or off, the threads would be nowhere near the area of the scratches. Clearly there is something going on with the coupler in the cap or with the inside of the brass tube in the cap.

Top Bottom