Thread issue on Jr Gents and Jr Stateman?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patmurris

Hi all,

I just assembled a 10k Jr Gentlemen's fountain from CSUSA and it's almost impossible to screw the cap in place on either end of the pen - it gets stuck right away and you have to try many times to screw it properly. I checked my other kits and i'm having this issue on all the 10k Jr Gents. Note that my other Jr Gents kits (rhodium and black titanium) work as expected - only the 10k gold ones have this issue.

Now that i'm getting aware of this potential problem, i realize the Jr Stateman i assembled a couple month ago does also have this issue, but somewhat less acute. I sort of let it pass at the time, thinking it was a bit annoying but fine nonetheless.

I haven't been turning pens for long and i have done a limited number of 'capped' pens so far, so i'm not sure what is to be expected on that matter.

I'm currently talking to CSUSA customer service and they will likely replace the kits, no question, but i want to make sure it's not me who's expecting to much... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your opinion and experience. :)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

Hi all,

I just assembled a 10k Jr Gentlemen's fountain from CSUSA and it's almost impossible to screw the cap in place on either end of the pen - it gets stuck right away and you have to try many times to screw it properly. I checked my other kits and i'm having this issue on all the 10k Jr Gents. Note that my other Jr Gents kits (rhodium and black titanium) work as expected - only the 10k gold ones have this issue.

Now that i'm getting aware of this potential problem, i realize the Jr Stateman i assembled a couple month ago does also has this issue, but somewhat less acute. I sort of let it pass at the time, thinking it was a bit annoying but fine nonetheless.

I haven't been turning pens for long and i have done a limited number of 'capped' pens so far, so i'm not sure what is to be expected on that matter.

I'm currently talking to CSUSA customer service and they will likely replace the kits, no question, but i want to make sure it's not me who's expecting to much... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your opinion and experience. :)

I have had problems with the threads on Jr Gents so I stopped doing them. Never had a problem with the Jr Statesman.

BlackPearl

My wife had this issue with the one I made for her but every time I picked it up it worked fine. Then a piece of plastic with the threads fell out and it would not cap at all. I had to replace the threaded insert in the cap, no problems (that she has told me about) since.

Sam@CSUSA

Patrick and I have spoken concerning the couplers he is having issues with. I will open the invitation I gave to Patrick to all. If there are any issues with couplers you have please contact either our customer service department or myself via pm. Please let us know and we will get you taken of!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Patrick and I have spoken concerning the couplers he is having issues with. I will open the invitation I gave to Patrick to all. If there are any issues with couplers you have please contact either our customer service department or myself via pm. Please let us know and we will get you taken of!
No issues here, but TY for jumping in and providing EXCELLENT customer service. This is becoming a rarity with some of the other "big boys" as of late.

Landon

patmurris

Sam, thanks for jumping in and please forgive me for making this issue public.

As i explained i'm somewhat new to pen making and wanted to check with more experienced pen turners before getting back to you with my list of 'bad' kits to be replaced - i don't want to abuse the excellent customer service CSUSA is reputed for providing. :wink:

SCR0LL3R

I have had it happen on full size gents but by carefully working the threads for a little while, it seems much better. If it caught, I would just wiggle the pen a little to get it into the threads properly. I think the threads on the pen get started on the starting edge of the plastic piece inside the cap rather than on the cap's threads if you don't start it perfectly straight.

(I hope that made sense to you guys)

Perhaps this can be remedied just by slightly rounding that hard edge at the end of the plastic piece in the cap. I was going to try this on my next one.

soligen

This can happen becasue the front section is quite a bit narrower than the inside of the cap, so the cap can tilt side-ways. If you look at the thread section on the triton, you will see that they are much longer extended into the cap and narrow to help ensure the cap cant tilt sideways.

I saw an article (cant remember where, maybe the library) that talked about making and glueing an insert down inside the cap tube with a hole just big enough for the front of the section. This makes sure the cap must align square and cant tilt sideways at all as the threads engage. Kind of inconvenient - especially on an already assembled pen, but I consider it worth the effort. If you can get the cap finial off, you can add an insert.

IMO the problem is a design flaw - evidenced by the fact that the flaw was fixed in the Triton.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dennis,
The Triton is made by a different company than the Jr. Series.

They may have gained knowledge from their competition's mistake---but the Triton manufacturers did not have to FIX it, they built it right the first time.

FWIW

Quote: IMO the problem is a design flaw - evidenced by the fact that the flaw was fixed in the Triton.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
maybe this

I've seen a similar problem - caused by poor workmanship when they glued the plastic threads in leaving a small amount of glue on the threads.

Lenny

Pat, would you please clarify for us which Jr.Gent kit you are referring to ... is it the Jr.Gent II or the Apprentice Jr. Gent (aka Jr. Gent I)?

patmurris

It's the regular Jr Gents II 10k gold either FP or RB - although some of them did not have this issue. I went through all my kits and the full titanium Gentlemen's i have is terrible too - it's almost impossible to screw the cap properly.

I tend to believe part of the problem comes from the fact that these kits have plastic on plastic threads whereas the rhodium and black titanium versions have plastic on metal. Then again, it's probably a matter of design too, and how the thread starts - with a 'rounded' entry that will slip or sharp corners that can catch, if that makes any sense.

I like this somewhat simple and affordable kit, and i dearly wish they get this fixed at some point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom