Thoughts and opinions please - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members
 
Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.


Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
 
thewishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA.
Posts: 7,934
Photos: 0

Default

I think the original blank looks awesome! The angle cut looks good, too. The texture adds extra interest, as does the color.
__________________
Chris

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
Likes: (1)
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Zionsville, IN
Posts: 482
Photos: 0

Default

After you mentioned wanting the look of a barn, the idea of painting and distressing came to me also. The wood should appear gray. If you go that route you’ll end up with a very rustic looking finished product.
Likes: (1)
PatrickR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Thibodaux,LA
Posts: 58
Photos: 0

Default

I really like this. But then, I am a lover of antique woods. I think they would sell.


Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
__________________
Missyg15
Likes: (1)
Missyg15 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 138
Photos: 0

Default

Quote:
The customer is always right.
I hate to hijack, but no!
https://www.floship.com/7-reasons-cu...are-not-right/
That attitude makes your employees miserable.
Likes: (1)
JPW062 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
 
DJBPenmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 451
Photos: 0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW062 View Post
Quote:
The customer is always right.
I hate to hijack, but no!
https://www.floship.com/7-reasons-cu...are-not-right/
That attitude makes your employees miserable.
They'd be even more miserable if you couldn't make enough money to pay them because of it.


Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
DJBPenmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 107
Photos: 1

Default Thoughts and opinions please

I like the wood with a story!! I have been asked to make a lot of the whiskey barrel pens and that wood isn’t much in terms of grain but the story makes it.

I would just try a stain or even bake it if you wanted more color... I baked some maple and the grain darkened and took on certain luster as I understand it is from the caramelization of the sugar in the wood ... it took a while but it looked neat.

One last thought - a lot of barns have tin roofs - add a piece of tin as an accent if you think they need it. I wouldn’t add acrylic trim as I think it detracts from the natural look.

Ok one more thought - a local guy sells barn wood trays, tables, etc. but the card with the item has a picture of the barn it came from with a history of the barn. He sells a lot to people looking for something from a certain county... the more detailed history the more meaningful the wood.

Just my $.02




Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited by Bob Kardell; 01-15-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Likes: (1)
Bob Kardell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 138
Photos: 0

Default

Quote:
Ok one more thought - a local guy sells barn wood trays, tables, etc. but the card with the item has a picture of the barn it came from with a history of the barn. He sells a lot to people looking for something from a certain county... the more detailed history the more meaningful the wood.
That is a good idea.
Likes: (1)
JPW062 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
 
Rolandranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 964
Photos: 147

Default

Here's a thought for an antique look. Put some fine steel wool in a bottle of white vinegar for a day and apply it to your blanks like wood stain. I've only tried it once on a wooden gate so you may want to test it out on a scrap piece before trying a blank. I don't know if it would look good on a pen or not... just a thought.
__________________
Seth, a 18-year-old learning from the experts.

https://www.instagram.com/woodnotch/
https://www.instagram.com/knot_board/

I Corinthians 10:31
Likes: (2)
Rolandranch is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #39 (permalink)
 
RogerC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 149
Photos: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehn0045 View Post
Sandblasting might give you the desired effect, I’ve never done it myself but it’s an idea... I like the the angle cut better too.
Sand blasting or media blasting is just another way to do what I'm already doing and wouldn't really change the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDucks2 View Post
You may not need to dig out the wood at all to get a highlight. I have noticed on both Oak and Chestnut barn wood that sanding at high lathe speeds will burnish the harder wood and make it darker, changing the character without digging out the softer wood as much. May achieve a look for you without as much extra work. I do like the angled cut of the second piece much better. I have also had success preserving worm holes, cracks, grain and such by putting thin CA in the hole/grain/defect then filling with medium CA until slightly proud. Once dry I sand lengthwise until back down to surface level then sand and finish the entire pen as normal. It preserves worm holes and cracks nicely but will make worm tailings and punky spots change color
I may give the burnishing a try to see what effect it has. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kardell View Post
I like the wood with a story!! I have been asked to make a lot of the whiskey barrel pens and that wood isn’t much in terms of grain but the story makes it.

I would just try a stain or even bake it if you wanted more color... I baked some maple and the grain darkened and took on certain luster as I understand it is from the caramelization of the sugar in the wood ... it took a while but it looked neat.

One last thought - a lot of barns have tin roofs - add a piece of tin as an accent if you think they need it. I wouldn’t add acrylic trim as I think it detracts from the natural look.

Ok one more thought - a local guy sells barn wood trays, tables, etc. but the card with the item has a picture of the barn it came from with a history of the barn. He sells a lot to people looking for something from a certain county... the more detailed history the more meaningful the wood.

Just my $.02
Thanks. I really dig the tin idea. I'll probably experiment with that detail for use on the highest-end pens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandranch View Post
Here's a thought for an antique look. Put some fine steel wool in a bottle of white vinegar for a day and apply it to your blanks like wood stain. I've only tried it once on a wooden gate so you may want to test it out on a scrap piece before trying a blank. I don't know if it would look good on a pen or not... just a thought.
Yep, I've got a batch brewing in the shop right now. It usually takes at least 4 days (I like to leave it longer) to get a good concentration. I've used that technique on a couple of guitars in the past with good results.





This was my first thought to use in terms of staining. Since it's a chemical stain, the solvent properties of CA won't disturb it. It doesn't work equally well on every wood, though.
__________________
www.dogtiredguitars.com

Last edited by RogerC; 01-16-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Likes: (3)
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
 
RogerC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 149
Photos: 1

Default

Ok, here are the latest experiments. I just took the 2 blanks from earlier, sanded them down and tried some different variations.

This is the straight grained blank with paint in the recesses, sanded back, and rubbed with the wood aging solution. It's definitely more rustic.






And this is the angled grain blank. Coated in red, sanded back to remove paint from the higher grain, and then CA top coat. No aging solution.






I think these were very successful. I'm going to pick up some variation of barn tin tomorrow to try a segmented version as well, and I'm also going to do some that are completely natural.

I figure I've got 3 different pen styles to do with 4 each of each style, so that lets me do several different finishes in each style.

Oh, and I also received my order of custom drawer boxes in which to deliver my pens.





I'll put down a bed of excelsior on which to place the pen.
__________________
www.dogtiredguitars.com
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Content Copyright © 2003-2018 by Penturners.org, LLC; All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Service   Acceptable Use Policy