Thoughts and opinions please - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I like the appearance of the texture, adds character to a fairly plain piece. Wonder what affect it would have on the feel of the pen. Watching people buy pens at shows they frequently see how they feel. Almost like Harry Potter buying a wand. Agree with Mark James that the trim would really make them pop.

g.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default Thoughts and opinions please

I like the look, what I would refer to as “antiquing” similar to what I would do in my leather working days. If the intent of the pen is display, the texture is fine. If it is intended for use, I would probably coat it to fill in the texture while maintaining the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

I like the look. But I often wonder, and this is about all "high end" pens, would someone actually us this beauty as an EDC? In the end I think you create your art, and let those that appreciate it find. Great work!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

I like the look, I like it Lot!!! Adds character

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
DJBPenmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Default Thoughts and opinions please

I like it. I do tend to like smooth finish better visually and for use purposes.

I agree with mrducks2 that if it is for use smooth is better.

In the end I have seen lots of different things that I did not like that others do.

I was showing pens to a man once and he looked at two pens and said “I think the wood on the top of that one would look great on the bottom of that one.”

I was thinking “you have got to be out of your mind. “ But I smiled and said, “that would be interesting, wouldn’t it.”

The customer is always right.

Last edited by Talltim; 01-07-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Talltim is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #26 (permalink)

I make a lot of things from barn wood because I have a lot and it was free. For pens I have settled on a smooth matte finish. Sometimes on open grain wood I will wire brush it and then use a colored filler to highlight it. For more interest look for boards with sapwood or worm holes. The idea of doing them both ways and let the end user decide sounds like a good one.
PatrickR is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #27 (permalink)

I like how the grain is popping out more due to your efforts. I’m just not a fan of the look in general.

AJMwoodcrafts is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Ok, here's version 2. I cut the blank on an angle as suggested earlier, and I didn't dig the grain out so deep. There's also no dye on this one so we could focus on the technique rather than the finish.

I'm liking this version much better. The wood definitely needs something to add character in terms of color. I'm trying a wipe with red paint to hit the elevated grain and get it looking more like it did when it was still on the side of the barn. I'm just using krylon spray paint sprayed onto a paper towel, but it's not giving me the color I was hoping for. I may go ahead and get some milk paint.

Also, I think using a dremel with an abrasive sanding pad will do a better job of digging out the soft grain and leave it smoother in the low sections.

Last edited by RogerC; 01-07-2018 at 02:43 PM.
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Sandblasting might give you the desired effect, I’ve never done it myself but it’s an idea... I like the the angle cut better too.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

You may not need to dig out the wood at all to get a highlight. I have noticed on both Oak and Chestnut barn wood that sanding at high lathe speeds will burnish the harder wood and make it darker, changing the character without digging out the softer wood as much. May achieve a look for you without as much extra work. I do like the angled cut of the second piece much better. I have also had success preserving worm holes, cracks, grain and such by putting thin CA in the hole/grain/defect then filling with medium CA until slightly proud. Once dry I sand lengthwise until back down to surface level then sand and finish the entire pen as normal. It preserves worm holes and cracks nicely but will make worm tailings and punky spots change color.

Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads