To those of you who have made Corn Cob pens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

What kits do you use? I'd like to make a baron out of one but wonder how a screw cap fit would work out trying to line up the 2 pieces to look good. Also, how thin can you turn before you start losing the 'cob' look so to speak? Thanks for any input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Darrin,

The corn cobs look best when you keep your hole to about the size of the core of the cob.

I have only used Cigars and sierras. Lining up the top and bottom of a cigar is not a big issue. Turning thin would be a major concern, to me. That's why I've not done it.

Stay tuned for more experimental members.

mick

I'll add Barons or Jr gents to the list....but you've got to choose the cobs carefully for the reason Ed mentioned above. I've even bought smaller cobs from River Ridge to make euros out of.

Zirnike

What kits do you use? I'd like to make a baron out of one but wonder how a screw cap fit would work out trying to line up the 2 pieces to look good. Also, how thin can you turn before you start losing the 'cob' look so to speak? Thanks for any input.

Personally, when I need to align (read: make a pen with) a screw cap, I screw the pen end onto the (attached) cap thread, and then press fit with the grain aligned. Of course, the pens tend to have 3 start threads, but it's the thought that counts.

However: On a pen like the Jr Gent 2s, postable caps, Do you all think I should align the grain/pattern while the pen is closed or open? I tend to think closed, but open is when you're using (and hence, looking at) the pen.

Munsterlander

I line mine up the same way as you - to me it is more aesthetically pleasing to align when the pen is closed. I think that's the way most people actually get their first look at a pen and you know what they say about first impressions. When you're actually writing you're probably not thinking that much about whether or not the grain lines up - and it's even more unlikely when posting for writing that you'll take the time to find the right thread... just my 2 cents...

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
A little off point, but ...

My uncle bought a cob from WC and made a pen ... he got such a kick out of the experience that he went and talked to a neighbor (a farmer) and came home with a bushel of cobs from the guys barn. They were nice and dry, probably a couple of years old (and I don't know why the farmer had old cobs ... he has indoor plumbing). My uncle had a blast making a bunch of cob pens.

Lessons:
- Cobs do indeed come in different sizes, both length and diameter.
- Natural cobs aren't stablized, so expect a failure rate of about 1/3.
- If they are free, the failure rate isn't such a big deal (you lose only some time and CA)
- He seemed to think he only used a little more CA than he used on the store bought cob.
- He had to be satisfied with the natural color.

woody350ep

ed, you said you don't like to turn them thin, but you said you use them on cigars and sierras. Cigars I understand, but how do you turn a sierra without turning thin? I have only done a few, but from what I have done, they are the thinnest by far so far.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OOOOpopppsssss!

ed, you said you don't like to turn them thin, but you said you use them on cigars and sierras. Cigars I understand, but how do you turn a sierra without turning thin? I have only done a few, but from what I have done, they are the thinnest by far so far.

Sierra VISTA!!

Sorry, I did not make that clear.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, and if you only want a couple to try, send me an e-mail. Dawn will be offering them on her website, to go with the snakeskins. But, I bought a bunch for her, as well as some bushings. Pricing for one or two will be better than the "big boys", but if you want 20 or more, go to Ernie or Berea.

That's the PLAN!!!

MobilMan

Check with member "Iowa Cobb" I'll guarantee his are tops. Very well stabilized. I'm not knocking Dawn or anyone else but at least give his a try. I've turned 10 of his and there is no need to use CA.

Top Bottom