For those of you turning Sierra BPs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

Have you come upon having to use a 5/8 blank instead of a full 3/4? If so...did it work out well for you? I'm debating whether or not I should use this blank on a sierra and a cartridge/bullet or 3 cartridge/bullets. If I can't use it I can order more of it, I just would like to get turning if it is in fact going to work out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

That's sort of where I was leaning. It worked well on a 10mm, but the slight variance between the two sizes may mean disaster.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Grant, I have made sierras from 15mm round stock. BUT I have a Collet Chuck that is deadly accurate. (15mm=.61224", 5/8=.675")

If I had to drill it on a drill press, I would worry.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Maybe

Drilling 27/64 hole in a 40/64 block....if your perfectly centered you leave a tad over 3/32 all way around - that's more than likely enough wood to get everything round but wouldn't leave you much room for error. It depends on how true you can get centered and how true you can drill the hole. As Ed said --- it could be iffy if your drilling isn't dead on.

Fibonacci

I have successfully done several sierras from 5/8 stock (including one segmented). I use a drill press for everything.

You have to be real careful, but you can do it.

Top Bottom