To those who use the Sierra Kits...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

Boy this one just bugs me. I hope Im not the only one but it seems some of these kits I use, after assembly, there is a tiny gap between the lower part of the blank and the beginning of the long nib end. I'll disassemble it, turn around, and the same thing!! I have had this happen on the Sierras and EB's, just not on all of them. This really p!$$es me off :biggrin: Anyone else have this problem?? Take a look in the pic below, I can't sell a pen that looks like that. Hopefully someone can shed some light on my dilema as I have yet another pen tonight thats on the same kit style that turned out the same way. :confused:

Attachments

• RedMaleeBurl1.jpg
    RedMaleeBurl1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Any chance you took to much off squaring the blank? I am not at home so I can't go out to the shop and look at some I made. I think length of the barrel or blank is critical.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Darrin; The picture of your pen makes it very difficult to tell exactly of what you speak. Could it be that your blank is not at 90º, leaving what I think is a small space btween the long nib and the blank!

I have done many Sierra's both Click & Twist and have not had that problem.

jkeithrussell

I've noticed the same thing on some Sierras that I made, but thought it was just the way it was designed (not tight/snug between nib assembly and blank). FWIW, most of mine are Wall Street II from Woodcraft.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I have one like that that I hadn't noticed until I examined it. I took it apart and gave a careful once over on the blank and it appears my tube is a hair longer than the blank. I think that came from my pen mill. I have one pen mill that if I don't get the head positioned properly on the shaft it will leave the tube slightly longer than the blank.

1080Wayne

Darrin Yes , I have found that problem on some Ti Sierra kits . No apparent correlation with finished blank length . Probably the long side of a manufacturing tolerance designed to allow easy twisting of the barrel . Wayne

Darrin

On the pictured pen, I used a Barrel trimmer, on tonights pen, I sanded down. After finishing and prior to assembly,I place the tube and blank flat on sandpaper and rub to make sure that the tube isnt longer than the wood.

johnnycnc

Darrin,
just remember if you sand that the end needs to be square to the inside of the tube,which is not too
bad to do with a jig some other members recently discussed:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41382
I use a disc sander, with a jig of my own making, and for my use,much
prefer it to a pen mill.
(The reason for the outside of the square or round blank not being necessarily true to the inside of the tube when it's all said & done,
is that in drilling your drill can drift, or the clearance in the hole allows your tube to glue in slightly tipped.)
Hope this helps:)

Russianwolf

try this.

1) assemble the nib section but unscrew the tranny about a turn.
2) push the two part together fully.
3) use the pen body to screw the tranny tight.

see what you have when you do this.

jttheclockman

I see it on the Sierra vista. I just made one of the computer pens last night and that come with the tube installed. And on that one also the same thing a sight gap. I did not think it was a problem. You really have to look for it. I have used both a sanding mill and a cutter mill and the same thing. There might be a factory thing with that ring on top of the nib. It maybe slanted a bit. Will try some of the tricks mentioned to see if it tightens it up or else I am leaving them alone.

bruce119

I see it on the Sierra vista. I just made one of the computer pens last night and that come with the tube installed. And on that one also the same thing a sight gap. I did not think it was a problem. You really have to look for it. I have used both a sanding mill and a cutter mill and the same thing. There might be a factory thing with that ring on top of the nib. It maybe slanted a bit. Will try some of the tricks mentioned to see if it tightens it up or else I am leaving them alone.

It may be a mill that is out of square. put your mill on a flat surface and check that it is flat. It is hard to find a good mill. And if you square on the disk sander you must get everything square. I just never had this problem. Are you pushing the mechanism all the home. Here is a photo 2 different Sierras. The middle one is the Vista that comes with the Computer Kit.

02.jpg

Bruce

timberview4

try this.

1) assemble the nib section but unscrew the tranny about a turn.
2) push the two part together fully.
3) use the pen body to screw the tranny tight.

see what you have when you do this.

I turned my second Sierra today. I noticed a gap between the body and the nib. I remembered reading this post a couple weeks back and thought I'd read the posts again. I tried this tip from Russianwolf and it worked great. Thanks for the tip!!

Top Bottom