for those who sell pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kalai

Hio everyone, I was wondering, for those of your who sell pens, what kit do you find sells the best, is it a easy pen like the slimline, a pen like the Seirra or what ever kit it might be.
And of the very top of the line kits with top of the line wodd and all, do you find you sell a lot of those class of pens or a med amount or a small amount. Thanks and aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

Right now I am only focusing on slimlines and Gatsbys (Sierras). After I gain more experience with another 50 or so pens I may try some of the higher end kits.

Robert A.

Hello Chris.
One thing to think about with pen's is the market your in.As for where I'm at people like the less expensive pen's.If your in an environment where people can afford the highend pen's it might work for you.

Your pal from ncwwer,
Robert A.

Chief Hill

Mine vary's quite a bit. Slims & Streamlines, jr gents, El grandes. And other shows nothin really. Depends on the market.

bruce119

Chris
It all depends on your area and the venue you are at. I hear answers all across the board.

But for me I am in a lower income area and do lower art & craft shows. Slimlines are my bread & butter. But I put out a verity of more artsy stuff such as a computer pen or a 50 cal bullet pen and usually sell at one a show. Every show is different once you think you got it figured out. It will be completely different the next show.

I think the big thing is venue get your quality up then work toward the higher end shows. You display has to be up there also it is not so easy to get into a high end show that is where the money is. My display is not up to the standards of a high end show yet. It takes a little time I don't think your going to jump rite into a high end juried show rite off the bat.

just my 2¢

MrPukaShell

Hey Chris,

I would think pens in a variety of Hawaiian woods would sell. Start with Slimlines for the "Deals" and something to bring home to the kids. A couple of medium priced pens like the Sierra's and then some "High End" pens of your choice. Go on the angle of "Every Time You Write With The Pen It Brings You Back To Hawaii" kind of thing. Pens made put out of Kona Coffee wood at the Coffee growers, Mac Nut pens where they sell the nuts, you get the idea. Good luck and I hope what you make sells well.

Have a great day.

Robert

Rstyleusa

I sell anything from the slimlines on up to Majestics. My biggest seller is the Robusto/El Presidente pens. I do not seem to sell a lot of the European/Designer series for some reason. As others stated, it depends on your demographics of the area you are selling at. Any sale is a good sale!! Have a variety of pens to get everyones attention.

Hi Chris,
My three biggest sellers are the slimline, European and the Cigar... 'course those are the ones I make most often and offer.... I do make a few fountain pens and some of the higher end pens, but my market doesn't really support them all that much.

Rifleman1776

I sell relatively few pens compared to a couple others in my town.
They make a lot of Slims from fancy synthetics and colored wood. The workmanship is just awful. Their prices are very low, in the $5.00 to $20.00 range. They have hundreds in their displays.
I don't sell at shows very often. When I do there are, perhaps a dozen on display.
Mine are mostly larger pens like Jr. Gents and Gents. I do have some Europeans with cross clips. Those are good sellers. I try to present only quality work. My pens are in the $35.00 to $150.00 range. In the art gallery where most are sold, the retail prices are 80 to 100% higher.
I sell fewer but my profits are good.

Daniel

Although what style the pen is will have something to do with how well they sell. My experience is that the material is far more important. I can sell a slimline in Buckeye burl faster than I can in a plainer looking maple. same for all the pen styles.
My suggestions is pick a few that you like the best as far as style. it is easier to sell something you are excited about. and then focus on finding those outstanding looking blanks. this group makes the second half of the job a breeze.

jkeithrussell

Right now I am only focusing on slimlines and Gatsbys (Sierras). After I gain more experience with another 50 or so pens I may try some of the higher end kits.

I see this sentiment posted from time to time, and I've never understood it. There is nothing more difficult about making an Emperor than making a Slimline. In fact, I think Slims are harder to make than most pens. Do whatever floats your boat, but higher end kits are very rewarding to make.

Chasper

I understand the need and tendency to ask the question, but I think it is the wrong question. I don't sell pens, I sell gifts and often the gift is a pen. I sell the artistry of turning and often I put the art on a pen kit. My best sellers are colorful resins, deer antler, novelty items like snakeskin, feathers, and pine cones and then wood; the order changes depending on the venue.

What sells is art that is bright and flashy, uniqueness, and a good background story about the material. Not too many people come to a art fair shopping for a pen, they come looking for a distinctive gift for someone (or themselves in some cases).

fernhills

I see this sentiment posted from time to time, and I've never understood it. There is nothing more difficult about making an Emperor than making a Slimline. In fact, I think Slims are harder to make than most pens. Do whatever floats your boat, but higher end kits are very rewarding to make.

The hard thing compared to a Slim and a Imperial, is price. 5 slims cost under $10. 5 Imperials cost about $315 + tax and shipping. + the costs of an outstanding blanks. I ask if you were a gambler and you are in some form, if you are a seller. Would you lay down $300 or $10 on the roulette wheel ? How would you feel if you lost $10, not so bad. How would you feel if you lost $300,i think kinda bad and that is what is hard, RISK. Carl

hilltopper46

I understand the need and tendency to ask the question, but I think it is the wrong question. I don't sell pens, I sell gifts and often the gift is a pen. I sell the artistry of turning and often I put the art on a pen kit. My best sellers are colorful resins, deer antler, novelty items like snakeskin, feathers, and pine cones and then wood; the order changes depending on the venue.

What sells is art that is bright and flashy, uniqueness, and a good background story about the material. Not too many people come to a art fair shopping for a pen, they come looking for a distinctive gift for someone (or themselves in some cases).

This is the best answer so far.

For me, much of all of the above posts are true - this one really wraps it up.
I sell both ciagrs and slimlines 2 to 1 over the designers - I don't know why - even women seem to find the cigar more comfortable to write with, while the slimline gets down into a price that some people find more "affordable".

PaulSF

I guess the other aspect of the question is this: ballpoint, rollerball, or fountain?

I would think that the first two would be more practical, easy sellers. I'm not selling yet, but I think I'll do fountain pens upon request only, since fewer people write with those anymore. Heck, in this day and age, fewer people write with anything.

cal10simmo

Repeating what others have said it depends on the area and the market you aim for I sell quite regular from my webb site the baron in bethlehem olive wood is proberly the best seller at £35.00 then the slimlines I sell 3 - 4 a week usually at £12.50 but it can change quite fast this week i have sold 3 high end pens from £90.00 to £125.00
and 5 Sierra's at £20.00 but for selling this is the best time of the year jan the sales go down fast. two years ago i was at the Blenhiem Palace christmas craft show and did very well. you can always sell quality at any price and as a instructor told me don't sell your self cheap.

Top Bottom