For those who have...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

A Nova Comet II, what do you think about it now that you have had it for awhile? I will only be turning pens, bottle stoppers, and pepper mills.

I like the price.
Cosmetics does not bother me, but funtion does.
Would you buy it again? or choose a different lathe?
How is the power on different turnings?
How is the VS to operate?
How is it to drill on the lathe and the accuracy( i know this a wood lathe and not a metal lathe, but would like as much precision as possiable for drilling and alignment)
Peppermills, is it suitable length between the head and tail stock to complete from start to finish? ( i have issuses with my 1014 that aggrravates me)
Please give me your thoughts on this lathe as i will be in the market for a new one in a few months. Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

preacherman

I really like mine. I have had it for about four months now and turned well over fifty pens and small items. I have the older version without the upgrades that the 2013 version has. I can see where those upgrades were needed. The upgrades are a different switch, a stronger belt cover, and something with the motor cover(mine has not given any problems with any of these).

I bought mine used but was going to purchase a new one. Just happened to find a used one with a good price. I would buy again (new) especially for the price. It seems to have enough power to turn everything I have turned with no problems.

The variable speed works well. However, this is the complaint I have about the lathe. There is nothing wrong with the lathe just the way I use it or should say not comfortable with it. The location of the controls are on the lower right hand side of the lathe. I am right handed and hold my lathe tools in my right hand. I have to switch hands and then operate the switch and speed control knob. My old lathe the power switch was on the left hand side and was more comfortable to use. I wish there was an alternate location for the controls. But that is just my personal preference. Not the lathe's fault it works well as designed.

I do drill all my blanks on this lathe and have no problems with accuracy.

I am not certain about the length sufficient to drill pepper mills and longer items. I have never turned any of these items. It is listed at over 16 in between centers. So you would have a little more room than the 1014 but an extension would probably be in your best interest.

Overall, I am very happy with this lathe. I would buy again at the full price. I feel that its value and performance are sufficient to compare it with the more expensive Jet and Delta. I am sure that those lathes are better than the Nova in some way (not sure what though having never used them at length). However, I would not say that the improvements are worth the extra price. This is a very solid lathe at a very good price. When I was shopping for mine woodturingz had the best price so check there before you buy.

Marc

This is a good bench top lathe. It has 3/4 hp; is reversible and variable speed within it's three belt positions. The reworked lathe's definitely perform better than the older version. It is not great for peppermills that are longer than 6" as drilling out the body takes a slightly longer bed. The bed extension will fix that issue and allow you to drill and turn large pepper mills.

Not to be overlooked, customer service from Nova has always been reliable. I think this is a great benchtop/starter lathe. I know several turners that have purchased this lathe in the past 18 months or so and everyone has been glad they have it.

LagniappeRob

I like mine. I bought it last year around this time or new years when it was on special. It does fairly well. I'd buy it again, but possibly not at full retail ($499 iirc) maybe that's because I know I paid $350 for it. Not sure what else I would buy though in it's place either.

My only complaint and it isn't enough of one that I've tried to do anything significant about is that the tailstock quill becomes "tight" at the end of the travel (meaning hard to turn).

Edit - I did have one other complaint but they took care of it. They "underestimated" the sale and it went back-ordered. No problem there per se, but when I inquired I was lied to at one point by being told it was shipped out when it had not been. To me, that's a big deal. Delays are one thing, lies are another. (Here's the link to the thread from back then: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/argh-i-hate-waiting-105819/ )

Last edited:

longbeard

Thank you fella's, for those that responded.
202 views, would of thought there would of been more responses. I do appreciate the responses i got, and hope for a few more on this topic. Thank you

Dan Masshardt

Thank you fella's, for those that responded. 202 views, would of thought there would of been more responses. I do appreciate the responses i got, and hope for a few more on this topic. Thank you

I viewed but don't own the lathe so didn't feel qualified to comment :)

I know Mike (mikespenturningz) has this lathe as well Maybe he will comment at some point

Also, I recall someone on sawmill creek offering a review and then a Followup after several months I believe he tried to push the lathe to its limits on power etc Might want to take a look over there

longbeard

Thank you fella's, for those that responded. 202 views, would of thought there would of been more responses. I do appreciate the responses i got, and hope for a few more on this topic. Thank you

I viewed but don't own the lathe so didn't feel qualified to comment :)

I know Mike (mikespenturningz) has this lathe as well Maybe he will comment at some point

Also, I recall someone on sawmill creek offering a review and then a Followup after several months I believe he tried to push the lathe to its limits on power etc Might want to take a look over there

Thank you, i will

JohnGreco

Here's another response! I've been watching this, but don't have one. You're asking about user experience, don't worry about the views. People who have it will chime in as they come across this. Best of luck.

longbeard

Thank you John, i know there should be a few that has this lathe and should have good or bad opinions of it by now

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
INTERESTING

I suspect a lot of your views were folks like me -- not owners but interested in what the owners have to say. It looks ok but I don't like where the controls are, switching my tool hands to turn it off or change speed doesn't set well with me. Wouldn't bother me if I were left handed.

preacherman

control location

As I already stated about the control location I don't like it. It is just my personal preference and comfort. The new Jet is the same way I might add. While at local Woodcraft when shopping for a lathe I looked at the Jet 1221 and the salesman explained that location (lower right of lathe) is a safety location for bowl turners. If a bowl blank or hollow form should come apart while turning they could simply turn off without having to cross the "shrapnel zone." It make sense if you are working from the end of the lathe but I just wish there was an alternate location for someone like me who only turns pens.

Dan Masshardt

As I already stated about the control location I don't like it. It is just my personal preference and comfort. The new Jet is the same way I might add. While at local Woodcraft when shopping for a lathe I looked at the Jet 1221 and the salesman explained that location (lower right of lathe) is a safety location for bowl turners. If a bowl blank or hollow form should come apart while turning they could simply turn off without having to cross the "shrapnel zone." It make sense if you are working from the end of the lathe but I just wish there was an alternate location for someone like me who only turns pens.

I like the location of the switch on my 1221 but it
may be because I'm left handed.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I like the location of the switch on my 1221 but it
may be because I'm left handed.
That would be a good reason to like it there. But, with my less than perfect left hand and the fact that I am right handed it would be a bit unhandy for me.

Top Bottom