Those who buff ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

What grit do you stop sanding before removing the blanks and going to the Beall buff?

I have been sanding through MM 12000 but am thinking maybe just wasting time...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

I'm an overkill guy, so I do what you do Marc. I have one of those big lighted magnifiers that I swing over and look for scratches. Kind of finicky that way I guess.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by Tanner

I'm an overkill guy, so I do what you do Marc. I have one of those big lighted magnifiers that I swing over and look for scratches. Kind of finicky that way I guess.

Yea... at least I know it'll be a smooth finish and all that... but I also don't want to waste a bunch of time either... I guess I will just try a couple and see how it does stopping at a coarser grit...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by btboone

When polishing, go at crossed 45 degree angles to the sanding marks, and they all go away.

Thanks, Bruce - that is absolutely correct.

Also take off of metal mandrel with metal bushings and put on plastic or wood rod - removing bushings -- so you won't make your buffing wheels black from the metal parts.

Just because it's faster doesn't mean it can't be equally effective,:D:D:D

DocStram

Geeezee I'm sorry. I thought the title of this thread was "Those in the Buff". Gonna get some clothes on and will be right back ..... ;)

Okay .. here goes .... for some reason, I find a lot of pleasure in sanding and buffing all the way through to the max. To me, there's just something about knowing that I could stop at a lower grit ... but I like taking my time and enjoying the personal satisfaction of knowing that I'm going the extra mile. Know what I mean?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by DocStram

Geeezee I'm sorry. I thought the title of this thread was "Those in the Buff". Gonna get some clothes on and will be right back ..... ;)

Okay .. here goes .... for some reason, I find a lot of pleasure in sanding and buffing all the way through to the max. To me, there's just something about knowing that I could stop at a lower grit ... but I like taking my time and enjoying the personal satisfaction of knowing that I'm going the extra mile. Know what I mean?

Sure I do, Doc. You mean you are SLOWER THAN SIN!!!!

But, then you have spent a lifetime trying to do it, so others CAN understand - that is a hindrance to speed!!

spitfire

Sorry to hijack a little here but I just got a buffer and was curious if it matters what compound goes on what kind of wheel? I have a soft cotton wheel and a regulard wheel.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Usually, I figure the softer the buffing wheel, the closer to the end it goes.

The tripoli is still taking off some scratches, so the wheel can be a little more abrasive than the final buff wheel.

Seemed logical to me - but I will yield to a more informed opinion!!!

PenPal

Marc,
In reading your post I figure another variable in this equation is the type of buffing pad you use. I know that a lot of users simply buy a system however I am completing a two wheel that is a double ended buff right now. Help please in choosing the number one and two buffing cloths. Number one for triple E, number two for polish block.I have a variable speed buff besides already to use for finishing buff of wax or?

Thanks Peter.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by DocStram

Gonna get some clothes on and will be right back ..... ;)

Now THERE's a mental image I coulda done without! :D

I don't mind the sanding at all... but really, if ya think about, over sanding means potentially overheating and also sanding too far... with the finer grits I guess that really wouldn't happen though... I guess I just don't want to do something that really is just a waste of time..

jedgerton

I sand to 2400MM and then buff. I use tripoli followed by white diamond using the Beall buff system. If there are remaining scratches, I can't see them.

Also, when I buff, I hold the piece at ~45 degrees to the former sanding direction.

John

LEAP

While it's a little off subject but not to fat I hope. How long ro you wait after applying your CA finish before you buff? When I first started using the buffer I had a few pens that while perfectly shiny and no scratches but were left with an uneven surface when I finished buffing. I attributed this to the Ca not being totaly cured. Now I tend to wait a couple hours before I buff the pen to give the CA time to totally harden. I especially noticed this on wood that were extremely dry and sucked up a lot of CA during finishing.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by LEAP

While it's a little off subject but not to fat I hope. How long ro you wait after applying your CA finish before you buff? When I first started using the buffer I had a few pens that while perfectly shiny and no scratches but were left with an uneven surface when I finished buffing. I attributed this to the Ca not being totaly cured. Now I tend to wait a couple hours before I buff the pen to give the CA time to totally harden. I especially noticed this on wood that were extremely dry and sucked up a lot of CA during finishing.

I don't seem to follow the "norm" when applying CA, so it's probably best not to listen to me... :D

I don't apply the CA out of the bottle onto a spinning blank... rather I apply the CA to paper towel and then spread a very thin coat to the blank... I feel that this makes for a harder and less "troublesome" finish for me... I don't get the dents under the clip, never any white spots, and I don't wait but a few seconds between coats for sanding or buffing...

.... but that's just me... there are almost as many ways to apply CA as there are turners here...

rherrell

I stop sanding at 600. I love the way 600 grit wet/ dry (used dry) removes just the right amount of CA. I wait overnight to begin buffing. Tripoli, White Diamond and final buff with TSW.

Top Bottom