For those that use BLO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

For those of you that use boiled linseed oil, do you use it on all of your wood pens regardless of the species or do you limit the use of it to wood that benefit from the highlighting of the detail in the grain?

Thanks!
D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Personally, I use it on all. I may reduce it or use alcohol first on those woods that naturally have more oil.

For me the BLO not only works as a grain enhancer, but help keep the CA smoother.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I use it on all. I put a drop or two on the same paper towel I'm going to use to apply the CA then rub the towel on the blank.

I use it on most of my wood pens... can't say all because sometimes I'll just got to the CA.. I use a box of Kim-Wipes, a lint free paper that I got from my truck driver son. For the CA I cut the foam sheets that comes wrapped around electronics into little 1 x 2 inch squares and apply the CA with that.

Art Fuldodger

On some woods, it will reduce the contrast between light and dark areas. I particularly dislike it on Zebrawood.

However, on burls, it has a tendency to *increase* the contrast, and I particularly *love* what it does for Box Elder burl.

Bottom line: Try it on each of your woods, and see if you like it. You can wipe it on before turning, and take a peek.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Unless you want a very _antiqued_ ivory look, I would NOT use it on holly. Some very light woods do not benefit well from BLO or other oils, unless that is what you specifically want. Most woods do well with BLO as mentioned above, but not all. Some reds will turn a burnished reddish brown with BLO. Also, dyed woods will change colors/hues (and not necessarily for the best) with BLO, so be careful and be sure that is what you want. There is a point where the color desired - will determine the finishing process.

Contrasted (segmented) bloodwood and holly with BLO will change from very reddish and white to reddsih/brown and antiqued ivory (almost yellowish), losing the red/white colors that were originally intended and hoped for. In this case, I would use straight CA or clear lacquer.

Last edited:

VisExp

I agree with what Hank says. I have been disappointed with the effect of BLO on lighter colored woods. I plan on experimenting with Tung Oil on those woods in the future. For the darker woods BLO is awesome and I use it most of the time.

JimB

I use it when doing my CA finish but I start with CA and then do BLO. I keep alternating. I use the BLO beciuase my CA finish comes out better with it. I don't use it to pop the wood.

Top Bottom