Those little black rings on some of your pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstansell

I have looked and looked throughout this website and probably overlooked the answer to this question but here goes.
Yoyospin and several others in IAP have put some black rings on different parts of some good looking pens. How's this done??? Especially nice looking on Yoyospin's .pdf cigar pen page. "Wow"
Thanks ind advance for your help.
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldimick

I suspect that you are talking about the burn lines. Those are made with pieces of wire that are held against the wood and scorches the wood with friction. You can make your own with some wire and a couple of pennies or all of the wood turning kit sellers carry them.

Be sure to lightly score the spot with a skew or parting tool so that the wire has a path to follow.

vick

The method I use is I hold a skew vertically with the long point facing down and drop it down to the wood to create a small channel for the wire to ride in. I use picture hanging steel wire with 2 round wooded pieces that I drilled holes in for handles. It is important to have handles cause the wire gets hot. Bring the wire down fom the top DO NOT WRAP IT AROUND that is a safety issue if something goes wrong. Hold it against until it starts buring. Be careful it is possible to burn through the wood to the tube. All in all it is a pretty simple process that I make sound complicated.

Deere41h

Or could you be talking about the o-rings that he adds occasionally. Most hardware stores carry o-rings. Just need to find the correct size.

smoky10

I think you'll find that Ed(yoyo spin) uses a lot of different things including "o" rings, guitar pick guard, and hot wires. He does a good job no matter what he uses.

YoYoSpin

Hey guys...felt my ears burning and thought I'd better chime in.

This one is thin CA and fine glitter filling cut channels and drilled counterbores:
pen130a.jpg

Common plumbing o-rings:
pen118a.jpg

Red silicone o-rings:
pen115b.jpg

Guitar pick guard material separating different colors of acrylic:
Acrylic37b.jpg]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom