Those japanese pen making videos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

They were using what appeared to be a very short, I mean very very short skew. Are these available somewhere?

I am also curious about the lathe orientation. They were facing it, not standing to the side like we do with our lathes. The lathe orientation they used seemed, to me at least, to be correct. I have never gotten use to standing perpendicular to my work.

I am thinking about ditching my tail stock and trying to do some shaping this way. Thing is I think the very short skew would be essential. I only have one skew and don't feel like taking the chop saw to it. Anyone ever try this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

They were using what appeared to be a very short, I mean very very short skew. Are these available somewhere?

I am also curious about the lathe orientation. They were facing it, not standing to the side like we do with our lathes. The lathe orientation they used seemed, to me at least, to be correct. I have never gotten use to standing perpendicular to my work.

I am thinking about ditching my tail stock and trying to do some shaping this way. Thing is I think the very short skew would be essential. I only have one skew and don't feel like taking the chop saw to it. Anyone ever try this?

Most of the chisels they show are custom made. The threading chisels are essentially side scrapers. The pre-drill bit chisel is a modified round file. The chucks is a wooden collet chuck.

The lathe that everyone is all in awe over (including myself) is a horizontally mounted potters wheel. It had a belt for a motor and a treadle option. Also the rotation direction of their lathes is reverse of what we have.

Top Bottom