The thinnest diameter pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sparky2

What is the thinnest pen anyone here has ever crafted?

I wear a flight suit to work most days, and on the upper left sleeve is a pen pocket (designed to hold one each pen and one each pencil).

The thick pens and the pens with a fat rubber grippy-thingie will simply not fit in that pocket slot.

I would love to acquire (since it's doubtful that I will ever gain the skills and craft-mojo necessary to make one) a slender, wooden bodied-pen that will fit in that flight suit pocket.

Thanks in advance for the responses!

354691356_146.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

i would think a nice slim line pen turned with straight barrels would work nicely. they are about as thin a pen as i have seen.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Traditional slim lines are just that, apx 8.4mm in diameter and the body of the pen is straight, no bumps or curves just straight. Slim lines almost always have a Cross style
refill. Im sure that any one here would sell you one in Either the wood or resin blank of our choice. Im reading in your posting that you dont turn pens.

its_virgil

There are slimlines with much nicer clips than those black line clips from Berea. The pens are good quaility but the black line clips are ... well, I don't like them. :wink:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

WWAtty

Now to find .223 cal. bullet casings. Where do I go??

A good sporting goods store with a decent selection of reloading supplies might carry Rem 223 brass and bullets.

LL Woodworks

I'd be glad to make and donate a slimline for ya. Just PM me with what wood you think you'll like and a ship to address. Heck I'll even pay the shipping if you like.

okiebugg

Bic pen

There are slimlines with much nicer clips than those black line clips from Berea. The pens are good quaility but the black line clips are ... well, I don't like them. :wink:
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I have made bic type pens out of very hard wood, (hickory, Oak or CocoBola that are about the same diameter of a lead pencil. problem is getting a pocket clip installed.

If you want to make one, I'll give instructions.

I would probably be able to make one even smaller with my mini metal lathe. Your post just gave me that idea. I imagine my whole day will be given to this process. If I can find a way, I'll make you one!!!
send me youe Email address and I'll stay in touch...Jim

Last edited:

okiebugg

time 15 minutes

Do a good turn daily!
Don
I have made bic type pens out of very hard wood, (hickory, Oak or CocoBola that are about the same diameter of a lead pencil. problem is getting a pocket clip installed.

If you want to make one, I'll give instructions.

I would probably be able to make one even smaller with my mini metal lathe. Your post just gave me that idea. I imagine my whole day will be given to this process. If I can find a way, I'll make you one!!!
send me youe Email address and I'll stay in touch...Jim

I don't know if you know that you finally encouraged me to use my metal lathe to turn wood.
I started out at 3/4" not knowing the characteristics of turning wood. Using a scraper square type carbide bit, I started at 3/4" and ended at .275", slightly over 1/4". Pictured. Operator error caused me to stop there. I cur too deeply and broke it Duuuuh. I'm going to attempt to make a pen to that dia. with a separation to attach a pocket clip. It will use a bic refill

Top Bottom