thinking about going for it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AnachitlPut

i am thinking about sending in a pen to the IAP. wanted to see what hint tips or tricks i could get form yall. any thing would be great.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Luke do you mean take a picture and post it? We don't really send pens into the IAP. Acceptance into the Pen Maker guild requires that you make a pen and submit it but they discourage kit pens per say. Rather they want you to build your own pen. There have been pens sent in lately for judging for a special contest hosted in part by the IAP but that is more the exception than the rule.

Last edited:

AnachitlPut

I can't do it righ Now kinda need a lathe but I will have one soon. Thanks for the info. What do u think if I take a slim line and still use the tranmition.

bensoelberg

They are definitely going to be looking for something unique and original. If you are able to use the transmission from a slimline to make a pen that is truly unique, AND your construction of the pen is flawless, they might accept you. Or they might not. Worst case scenario, they tell you no. If you are doing something with slimlines that no one else has done before, I for one, would like to see it, and say good luck with your submission.

azamiryou

What is considured kit less?

Well now that's a can of worms. But for purposes of the guild, I would say you want to be sure that the judges - who really know pens and kit pens - don't recognize kit parts (clips, finials, sections, center bands, etc). Brass tubes and transmission should be fine, as those are widely available separately.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe best advice is to study the PMG gallery that has the pens that others made for their submission. You can submit a slimline pen but you will need to make as much of the pen youself as you can. You need an original design. There is a list of the requirements on the site. Your pen must be as close to flawless as you can make it.

There is no reason that you cant make a pen and submit it.

Top Bottom