Thin plastic source

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wendell

I would like to do some segmenting with acrylics. I have some pickguard material but it is too thick for what I want to do. I would like black plastic material about the same thickness as wood veneer. Anybody know a good source plastic that thin?

Wendell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Wendell, you may try Mcmaster Carr. They have plastic that goes down to .010" thick. www.mcmaster.com
They may also have plastic film that goes even thinner.
I have also purchased thicker material and used a dot of CA to the ends of a strip and glued it to a strip of wood (3/4" plywood)and sent it through my thickness planer to get the thickness I wanted. Then just cut the CA loose and you have the thin strip.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Try Saran Wrap!!!!

ok, wise-ass is out of the way now. Thanks!!!

It's really hard to find colored sheet stock under 1/8. SOME places have 1/16th. I'll try to remember to see where I bought the last bunch (WHEN I find it, I buy a good supply cause I break a lot of blanks and thin acrylic is a MUST around my shop!)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Originally posted by ed4copies
It's really hard to find colored sheet stock under 1/8. SOME places have 1/16th. I'll try to remember to see where I bought the last bunch (WHEN I find it, I buy a good supply cause I break a lot of blanks and thin acrylic is a MUST around my shop!)

Ok Ed - You've peaked my curiosity... mind sharing WHY thin acrylic is a must?

JohnU

I just bought a couple signs at menards (for sale, no trespassing) ones yellow ones white. Haven't tried them yet but hoping they will work.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by alphageek

Originally posted by ed4copies

Ok Ed - You've peaked my curiosity... mind sharing WHY thin acrylic is a must?

Dean,

As you know, Dawn will cast pretty much anything. Dichroic glass does not always "part off" right where you want it, snakeskins may develop a little "cloudiness" near the end. Once in a while, the turner develops "operator error" issues, knicking the end while "turning in a haze". At these times, I turn to my wide selection of "single color" acrylic or "striped" (pickguard type) acrylic and fashion two "oops" rings.

Many here have said they don't do "oops" rings - I consider them a "feature". The price of the pen goes UP when it has different color acrylic on the ends. AND I don't WASTE a blank that Dawn worked to create.

The more choices of acrylic I have available, the more creative I can become.

These "mistakes" usually sell very well.:D:D:D

And letter-size sheets of colored acrylic are usually under $10 -why NOT stock a bunch???

wendell

I may have answered my own question. I went to Office Max today. I found some report covers made from some sort of plastic. They came in several colors but most important to me, black. They are really close to the same thickness as the black dyed wood veneer I have. At $1.50 a piece, I thought it was worth a shot. Now I have to figure out how to cut thin slice of the acrylic blanks I want use. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wendell

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That's a good start - I got two of those a couple weeks ago.

Smallish pieces, but several of them and an inexpensive way to get started!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, Joe,
That DID sound bad.

The pieces will do a half dozen or so OF EACH COLOR!!!

AND they are affordable!!

(sound better??)

jcollazo

:D I'm honestly interested in what pen turners want. If you'd like larger sized sheets, I can cut them larger. If you want a 12 ft mandrel.... you're on your own. [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I think the way you have chosen is great. It will give the penturner the opportunity to try each color, then order a larger piece of the colors they will USE. You package it as a "sampler" and I agree that it accomplishes that. In fact, for many turners, it will be a one-year supply!![:0][:0]

Top Bottom