Thin Corncobs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

I have a friend who would like me to make her a conrcob pen, but she says she likes the thin "stick pens". I told her that most corncobs are too big to successfully get a thin pen out of one. That when you cut down that deep, you don't see the kernal pattern anymore because you're into the core. But I think it would be fun to surprise her, so does anybody know where I can pick up some "slim" corncobs? Anything that would be too big for a slimline would be too big for my purposes.

Rather than a "stick pen", as in BIC, I'm thinking of doing a single body slimline. What do you think? And to make it more interesting, I was thinking of maybe powdercoating the clip, nib and finial some funky color. Opinions?

Thanks!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papaturner

Scott, I have some pencil cob corn cobs that I have made slimline pen with them. They are not stablized but I would give you 2 or 3 if you want them. Just send me your address.

Perry

THarvey

Scott,

I do not know a direct source. However, if you can find someone that raises popcorn the ears might work. Popcorn cobs are thiner and more rigid than most other typs of corn. The cobs are usually shorter, so I am not sure about a "stick pen."

Tim

Scott, one of the nicest corncob pens that I've made was a euro, which is only slightly bigger than a slimline; point being, the kernel pattern shows up more prominently the further down you go (to a point, for sure). I think if you pick out just about any medium-sized cob, you won't be disappointed. As for the funky-color fittings, try Hut---they have red, blue, and green plating available for slimlines.

lyell

This is the right time of year. You can find mini Indian corn at most groceries. I made a slim out of two of these last year and it came out fine. I would post a picture but it was sold a long time ago.

Lyell
Lacey, WA

Looking for a new book, tool or most anything else from Amazon.com then use this link and help our Lions Club serve our community and the world.

http://laceysunriselions.org/Mall.htm

Scott

Thanks everybody! Perry is sending me some of his thin corncobs, so I'll be able to give this a try! I appreciate the offer Tony!

Lyell, did the cobs of the indian corn have different colors like the kernals do? [8D]

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom