Thimbles from pen blank leftovers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DaveM

I have a customer (Family friend) who has bought a couple of Carbaras from me. I was showing her the piece of acrylic blank leftover, and she wondered if I can make a thimble out of it. If I can, I have an order for fifteen pen/thimble matched sets for Christmas! (Even if I goof a few up, I still need to turn another twenty five Carbaras or so for the holiday, so I can afford to give it a few extra tries)

I couldn't find any thimble threads in the search, so I am asking here. How would I go about doing this? I figure I will drill out the inside hole, and make a jamb chuck to hold it while I turn the outside. There is enough extra length on the blank to hold it in a spigot chuck while I drill and smooth the inside. I can refine the rim, and then flip it around onto the chuck. What size hole? Also the thimbles I have seen are tapered. Should I drill a smaller hole, and then try widening and tapering it with a scraper? (A really small scraper!) Looks like I had better turn it round before I drill it, so I don't shatterit when I knock the corners off.

Is the CSUSA thimble cutter any good? It is pricey, but for that many pens, it might be worth it. If this goes well, I may add this combo to my tables next year. (Like I need more things to put out for shows!

Thanks for answering this slightly off topic question,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have the one that butch posted and it works great. Don't think I paid that much for it 4 years ago.
And Dave, You don't say where you are located, but if you're in the Houston area, contact me and you can try mine.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I purchased the tapered thimble cutter from CSUSA a few years ago (and yes they are correct when they say it is (sharp). Worth the money, its tapered exactly for the cut you need to make.

Made a number of thimbles for gifts and they came out great. I don't have any pics of the ones I made, but "yoyospin" has a lot of nice pics of his on his website.

http://www.yoyospin.com/products/thimble/

scoutharps

As a thimble collector, I think it sounds awesome! One thing...can you find out if they are for collectors or for really being used? Few people use one today, I personally prefer the thumle, which is made out of leather. I prefer to use my thumb for pushing the needle when I am quilting, and I can make those big enough for my thumb. If they are for real use, you may want to check out a few thimble specific sites, I don't know any off the top of my head, but I bet google will give you a ton. Most will be for collectors. For real use, check the quiling sites, or go to a quilt show and ask questions.

I'd like to see the pictures when you get done!

Nick

Possibly there is available an "end mill" used in the metal working field. EMCO or one of the suppliers may have such an item at a reasonable price.

ldb2000

Curly Maple Thimble

After reading your post , I was thinking "I have a tool I never used" ( the tapered thimble cutter) and started a search for it . I still haven't found it but gave it a shot any way and here is the result .

1_curlymaplethimble.jpg

I did this on the lathe with my Barracuda 2 chuck , a 1/2" drill bit and a small skew . I think it turned out nice .:)

DaveM

That thimble looks nice! I guess I had better get off of my chair and make my own, since I brought this up in the first place!

I will go ahead and order a cutter from CSUSA this week, and give it a shot. Hopefully I will sell enough to pay it off quickly. For right now, I will try the 1/2" drill and skew method.

Thanks everybody for the advice,
Dave

redfishsc

Congrats on being able to sell that many Carbaras! I have only sold 2 and believe me, I have some nice ones.

BTW you can get one Cigar pen from the drop pieces if you make TWO Carbaras--- works great especially with acrylic/PR where grain isn't a factor.

If I remember correctly, and it's possible that I don't, but seems like in years past thimbles were "sized" to different sizes because women wanted them to fit tight on their fingers.

Butch, that's a cool looking thimble.

scoutharps

You are correct--thimbles, and still do, come in sizes. If it is for fuction, having some dimple in the top is a wonderful thing. For quilting, there is actully a thimble with a raised lip all around.

The picture looks fgood! Now we need to see more of them!

Gagler

After reading your post , I was thinking "I have a tool I never used" ( the tapered thimble cutter) and started a search for it . I still haven't found it but gave it a shot any way and here is the result .

1_curlymaplethimble.jpg

I did this on the lathe with my Barracuda 2 chuck , a 1/2" drill bit and a small skew . I think it turned out nice .:)

Butch-

I'm having a hard time visualizing this (not surprising, as I am an accountant)....you chucked it, then turned it, and still on the chuck you drilled the hole, then parted the thing off? My mother sews / needlepoints, etc. all the time, and I am thinking instant gift made by son for her and her friends.

Thanks-

Michael

ldb2000

Butch-

I'm having a hard time visualizing this (not surprising, as I am an accountant)....you chucked it, then turned it, and still on the chuck you drilled the hole, then parted the thing off? My mother sews / needlepoints, etc. all the time, and I am thinking instant gift made by son for her and her friends.

Thanks-

Michael

Hi Michael
You have it part right , the part you are missing is the Jam Chuck I made from a piece of beechwood .
First , I chucked up my blank (curly maple) and drilled a 1/2" hole about 3/4" deep , then I used a small skew (3/8") and tapered the inside walls of the blank to what I thought looked good . I then took a small round nose scraper and smoothed the inside to a comfortable shape (for me) . because I had a fairly large blank to start off with I was able to round off the blank to about 1" long and parted it off .
Second , I took a 2 1/2" piece of beechwood (I bought this wood specifically for making small jam chucks because it is a soft Hardwood , but any scrap of hardwood will work) and turned it to the same profile as the inside of the thimble but a hair larger , then I took my thimble and placed it on the the jam chuck and pressed it in place till it was seated solidly . I then put my tailstock against it to keep it in place for the final roughing to shape .
I then removed the tailstock and with a skew I finished turning the final shape and sanded it just like a pen . I finished it with Friction polish .
Jam chucks are a perfect way to make all kinds of closed end work holding jigs for anything from closed end pens to small bowls and boxes .
A word of warning , DO NOT rough turn with a jam chuck without using the tailstock and live center to hold your piece in place , while a tight fitting jam chuck will hold even a small bowl tightly it still needs support when rough turning do to vibration .
Sorry I have no pictures to show right now as my shop computers hard drive died last night and I lost all my pictures . As soon as I take some new ones I will post a few of my jam chucks .
Hope this helps and if you need more info please feel free to PM me anytime

Last edited:

YoYoSpin

I bought that exact thimble hole-cutter from Craft Supplies when they first came out several years ago, and yes...it works great...on both wood and plastics.

Attachments

• Thimble_1d.jpg
    Thimble_1d.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Thimble_2c.jpg
    Thimble_2c.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 149
  • Thimble_3c.jpg
    Thimble_3c.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Thimble_4c.jpg
    Thimble_4c.jpg