Thickest Material Pen Kit

• Thread starter spiritwoodturner
  • Start date
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

I'm kinda thinking out loud here, because I could go out and measure every set of bushings I have to get this info. But I'm working on Alabaster in PR blanks, and have tried a few on El Grande kits, mainly because I have a boatload of them and they're cheap. The 2 I've tried have been fine until I get almost done, then I go right through the Alabaster to the tube with final sanding. These kits are about 2 paper width thickness, so I'm thinking about what to try next. Maybe a cigar?

Your thoughts?

Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Maker

Dale, Sit back and relax! Have a cup o' Joe with your cigar. I'm sure it will come to you.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The CSUSA Aero which is also called Elegant Beauty by Dayacom and sold as Elegant Beauty through www.laulauwood.com (Makaiolani) is the same outer size as the Sierra but has a much smaller tube than the Sierra, giving it a good bit of space for working.

Please note that this is NOT the same as the Sierra Elegant Beauty that is sold by Berea. Same basic names, Same basic looks but different sizes and lengths.

Last edited:
S

spiritwoodturner

Great input, guys. I have not tried a Vista yet, and can't get an Aero because they've been out for months. I'm going to try LauLau right now. What do you think about 2-piece kits?

Dale

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dale,

We have not found a two piece that allows a full ONE Millimeter insert. You CAN turn the Jr Gent with a slope at the ends and accomodate 1mm inserts. So, if its to "do it yourself", yes, it can be done. But, if you are trying to sell it for others - not enough control over the process.
FWIW

bitshird

Great input, guys. I have not tried a Vista yet, and can't get an Aero because they've been out for months. I'm going to try LauLau right now. What do you think about 2-piece kits?

Dale
You can also get the Dayacom Elegant Beauty from Anthony at the Golden Nib,
For a two piece kit. In a better kit I'd try a Jr. Gentleman or Statesman, in a less costly kit, what about a Cigar?

S

spiritwoodturner

I ordered some from Aaron on Hank's say-so. I'm thinking about doing some of the castings where at the thinnest parts there is no Alabaster. Then I could easily do some Cigar's and probably even Statesman's and Gent's. The stone just gets real squirrely when it's paper thin. At least for me!

To me, this is one of the coolest things about casting. Instead of buying something off the shelf, you can tailor the individual casting to the need. That is really cool!

Dale

S

spiritwoodturner

Nathan, I cast the stones in a silicone mold, then drill and epoxy. I don't have a problem with them not sticking to the tubes. It's just that when I start getting real thin (1 mm or less is pretty thin!) I've gone right through the Alabaster to the tube. The PR is harder so you go through the stone more.

If I'm understanding your suggestion, you would crush the stone smaller and mix with the resin and pour around it, a la Don Ward and others? I use pieces I've broken down to about the width of the mold-around 15/16" (a hair smaller than the width and depth of the mold so resin will surround it) and I like the way the same stone shows on both sides or at least around a good part of it.

It probably would be easier to crush it smaller and emulsify it in the resin, it just wouldn't be as showy. Someone did some of these here (was it you?) where the stone pieces were pretty big, and I don't see how they could have done that ONTO the tube, no drilling, but hey, I'm all ears!

Thanks so much,
Dale

S

spiritwoodturner

Ha, Ha, Funny Boy! I know where you live. Or at least, I have your phone number...

Chasper

This is repeating the obvious, but the the 7mm tube pens provide the most options for thick cross sections of blank material. A custom and thick center band (or bandless) euro, slim, comfort, streamline flat, streamline round, etc. could leave a lot of alabaster that you wouldn't likely sand through.

amosfella

Casting the tubes inside what your making will do 2 things.
#1 It will give you more room between the tube and the outside of the barrel.
#2 You will use a less material, and have a lot less end up on the shop floor.

I wasn't meaning to completely emuslify the stone. I was thinking about smaller pieces.

Top Bottom