Thick Pen Kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

I've got a strange question! What are some kits that have pretty thick pens? By that, I mean a pen kit that doesn't just have a thin sleeve of blank around the tubing, but a good thick layer? Just pondering some ideas...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Some company really should design a few good pen kits with thick walls. There is really no good reason that this couldn't be done, IMHO, except for the weight issue.

The Majestic Squire is better than the Sierra twist pen in that respect but the thing I have against the Majestic Squire is that you need a crowbar to open the clip !

The Wall Street III is much like the Sierra Vista (another twist pen) ... thick at one end and thin at the other.

One of the Master series kits from WoodPenPro has, I believe, thick walls ... better check that out before you buy though.

qquake

They're ugly, but the thickest I've ever turned are the Guardian Jr. and Guardian from PSI. They both use 8mm tubes, with the OD of the bodies being .625" and .555".

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 152
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 140

jttheclockman

The Pristina from Timberbits has some of the thickest walls I've ever seen

Roy do you have the stats on them???

I know the Spring Blossom kit from Timberbits has an extreme thick lower barrel but the upper barrel not so much. In fact I could not do a stainless steel braiding on it without it poking through. That is thin.

If I'm understanding your question right the Euro style from Woodcraft might work. 7mm tubes, yet the outside diameter of the finished Pen is over .400"

Sabaharr

Another idea here is that you can make the walls as thick as you want on any pen. All that has to be any certain thickness is the point where the barrel you turn meets the pen hardware (and even that is optional). Get creative. You have made a few pens now, I have been watching your posts. Go a little outside the box and stretch your horizons. My first act of pen defiance was making a one piece slimline. it was out of 1/2" Corian. Try drilling that far without blowing out the side. From then on it was on like Donkey Kong. You are the one that sets your own limits. When it comes to creativity I say don't have any limits.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Another idea here is that you can make the walls as thick as you want on any pen. All that has to be any certain thickness is the point where the barrel you turn meets the pen hardware (and even that is optional). Get creative. You have made a few pens now, I have been watching your posts. Go a little outside the box and stretch your horizons. My first act of pen defiance was making a one piece slimline. it was out of 1/2" Corian. Try drilling that far without blowing out the side. From then on it was on like Donkey Kong. You are the one that sets your own limits. When it comes to creativity I say don't have any.

I say just the opposite. Have more of it. Everyone has some locked up and we need to let it out. Show us who we all really are. Have fun. :)

Sabaharr

Another idea here is that you can make the walls as thick as you want on any pen. All that has to be any certain thickness is the point where the barrel you turn meets the pen hardware (and even that is optional). Get creative. You have made a few pens now, I have been watching your posts. Go a little outside the box and stretch your horizons. My first act of pen defiance was making a one piece slimline. it was out of 1/2" Corian. Try drilling that far without blowing out the side. From then on it was on like Donkey Kong. You are the one that sets your own limits. When it comes to creativity I say don't have any.

I say just the opposite. Have more of it. Everyone has some locked up and we need to let it out. Show us who we all really are. Have fun. :)

The word "LIMITS" was supposed to be on the end of that statement.

Turned Around

the newer ones from PSI seem to have a decent amount of material aleft on them. I made a few of the Phoenix ones for my nephew's cub scout auction.

Phoenix
Nautical
Gothica
Victorian etc.

All those and a couple more use the same bushings. 3/8" tube, finished at .55" OD

jttheclockman

The word "LIMITS" was supposed to be on the end of that statement.

Then I agree:)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've got a strange question! What are some kits that have pretty thick pens? By that, I mean a pen kit that doesn't just have a thin sleeve of blank around the tubing, but a good thick layer? Just pondering some ideas...
The Le Roi V2 has thicker walls than most Sierra/Gatsby style kits - we reduced the tube diameter while keeping the components the same size.

MTViper

Just turned a couple of the Music Twist Pens from PSI and was amazed at how thick the walls were. Feels very nice in your hand and great musical detail for the musician.

Top Bottom