There's gotta be an easier way - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default There's gotta be an easier way

Need some advice on an easier way to scuff up brass tubes prior to gluing them. I got an order for 30 pieces and spent way too much time with a piece of 150 grit sandpaper scuffing up the brass tubes. Thought about using my DP but thought I might over tighten the chuck and bend/squish the tubes. Tried my belt sander but that just shot pieces all over the place. Any suggestions are welcome.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 18

IMHO, 150 grit is way too abrasive for this task.
A green Scotch pad will work just fine.

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Place between centers, with light pressure, and touch sandpaper to the tube while it's spinning. Only takes a second or two.

............-John-

A clever person solves a problem.
.....A wise person avoids it.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I use a cordless Dremel ($25 from Walmart or wherever) and their 80 grit drums using the slower speed. I don't the the grit or speed make much difference - that is just what I do. I hold a tube by the ends and sand lengthwise (I don't think the direction makes a difference either). I then wipe the sanded tube with DNA and let dry for a few seconds.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Make your self a tapored spindle. Similar in design to a round chop stick. 5-6 inches is long enough. Put it in your pen chuck, lathe on low speed and slide the tube on as the lathe is running. Run your sand paper over the tube in the direction of the headstock, "pushing" the tube into the larger area of your spindle. This will "drive" the tube. Scuff it up, slide it off, slide on the next one, rinse and repeat. You should be able to get all the tubes scuffed in no time. Clean with mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol, use rubber gloves to touch the blank so you don't transfer oil from you fingers and glue in with your favorite adhesive. I use 5 minute epoxy, plugging the tube ends with dental wax. After 24 or more hours, I square the blank with a disk sander and jig that uses transfer punches to hold the blank square to the sander.

If you use a lot of different kits with different size tubes, you'll need to make a spindle for each tube, but it's good spindle turning practice.

Last edited by Jarod888; 01-13-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Jarod888 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

A quick pass through one of those green scour pads works for me

Never let anyone else decide your limits for you.
Just because they are unable to see beyond their personal expectations, it has no bearing on your own abilities.
MelodyLGC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terredax View Post
Place between centers, with light pressure, and touch sandpaper to the tube while it's spinning. Only takes a second or two.
I don't even turn the lathe off between tubes. I extend the tailstock quill, then move towards the tube and headstock, tighten the tailstock to the bed, and simply retract the quill between tubes. About 10 seconds per tube.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I have a wire wheel mounted on an old bench grinder. But you could just as easily chuck up a small wire wheel or a flap sander in a drill press. Put the tube on an old mandrel rod or similar and give it a quick, light pass. ( As always, wear eye protection and be safe)

Takes no time at all if you have many to do.
thebillofwrites is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Today's mentality at work again Everyone is in a hurry you see it everyday on the roads. 30 tubes takes what 4 maybe 5 minutes. Couple twists with 180 grit paper and each side is done. It does not have to be completely dull. Just give it some tooth for glue. I would get more board spinning the same kits over and over. Have no easy way to dull tubes that will make your time go faster. Sorry.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok all, First let me just say this is just a fun idea. OR is it? I haven't actually done this but I am considering giving it a go.
What if you took a pair of snug fitting cotton gloves (gardening type) Apply a thin coat of epoxy to the finger tips of the thumb and index finger of both gloves. Then immediately dip into sand and set aside to cure.
These gloves can be dedicated for scuffing up your tubes.
Yes, No? Anyone think this can work?
This is strictly the Macgyver side of me

If anyone tryes this, please post the outcome.
Also, I would suggest wearing latex or nitrite gloves under the cotton gloves. I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone epoxing gloves to their hands.

-Anthony
Timber Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads