Is There A Way to Save This?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

was making a cigar pen. I managed to turn it ack-basswards so the upper barrel one end was turned too small for the diameter of the black center ring. Total brain-lock, I mounted the bushing backwards. It was from woodturningz, here's the instructions:

http://www.woodturningz.com/downloads/cigarpenandpencilinstructions.pdf

I can of course re-mount the lower barrel and turn it smaller. It's the upper that has to get bigger. I don't have any replacement tubes to gin up a new blank and wanted to send this out as a gift.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

Either build up with CA (quite a bit, turn it all the way to tube and start over, or part off the ends and add some segments if you can shape the contour properly.

Akula

Build up with CA as mentioned

depending on the material, you could add dust, shavings or some other material like crushed stone to build up

turn off a section at the end and add a contrasting material, color, wood as a segmented piece

crokett

If you've got plenty of blanks, you can turn the blank off the tube and re-do it with a new one.

I checked, it's the only one I have like this, of course. the other one that I turned first and didn't mess up is the one I have 3 blanks of the same wood. I am in the process of building it up with CA.

hilltopper46

You can also make a custom center band for the cigar pen. The one shown here was done intentionally, but you can turn the upper barrel to the same dimension as the lower barrel, then modify the black centerband to retain the portion that presses up into the tube. This piece is needed to act as a bushing to keep the transmission from moving around too much in the upper barrel.

Pen593a.JPG

crokett

The pen is a gold kit. I thought about an aluminum center ring turned to size but it wouldn't match the rest of the kit. I wonder if I turned the centerband down but left the gold trim ring out how it would look.

GaryMGg

Long ago, I turned the hardware on a cigar down to make a slimmer pen but still bigger than the largest slimline.
The material underneath the plating won't match anything.
What kind of blank is it? I or someone else might have something which matches.

crokett

I don't know. It came in a box of blank swaps with another guy, not all of them were labeled. It has to go north this week so having something shipped in isn't gonna work. I am thinking of trying to get up to Woodcraft tomorrow. They may have replacement tubes.

If I were smarter when I ordered the kits I'd have ordered tubes. I try to stock replacement tubes of all the kits I have, just in case.

Top Bottom