Is there a "standard" kit(s)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Souths1der

Hello everyone. I'm new to turning and this site. I've been doing it about a month now and have gotten progressively better over that time in large part due to the information from the IAP. For that I thank you all.

I bought a clearance box at Woodcraft that had 30 basic slimlines and 30 blanks for $30. The kits were OK and the wood was blah, but it was a cheap way to get in some learning and by the end I improved a lot. I also turned a few cigars that ended up pretty nice. I'll post pics once I get a proper setup. My question is: What types of kits are "standard" builds that I coudl just set aside and one day sell. With so many kits and my rookie status, I'd hate to buy a bulk of kits that typically don't sell or mistakenly spend on expensive kits when I shouldn't. I also don't want to just assume slimlines is the answer. But I'd like to buy a bunch at one time so I don't have to constantly be buying one-offs here as I start my journey.

Thanks again for all the help so far. Hopefully one day I'll be able to return the favor.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome to the pen turning journey, Keith.

I don't sell pens, so I'm not going to try to offer any advice as to what types of kits you might consider for that purpose.

My overall suggestion would be to try a variety of Parker-style 1 & 2 tube pens (Cigar, Sierra, etc) and some Rollerball/Fountain Pen kits and see what you like best. You might start with some of the less expensive platings, then move up to the higher quality platings once you develop your skills to the point where you feel like you're ready to start selling. You will probably find that you like making certain kits and pen styles better than others - so much is a matter of personal taste and you can only figure this out by practicing.

There's a CSUSA group buy going on right now that you might still be able to get in on - this would give you the opportunity to get a nice variety of kits at a reduced price.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f222/feb-csusa-group-buy-129710/

While you're practicing, whether it's slimlines or any other kit - I would like to suggest that you consider donating some of your pens to one of the Pens for Soldiers projects. Here's one that a number of us support:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f70/servicepens-2015-a-123881/

Have fun
Edgar

JimB

There really is not a 'standard' kit. you started like most people do... with cheap slimlines and blanks to develop skills. from there many progress to cigars and sierras (several different names for this style) and a few other styles. Then there are a lot of rollerballs and then fountain pens. The style that will sell for you depends a lot on your market. What sells in one area does not always do well in another.

What will be important is the quality of the kit (plating, as cheap kit's plating fades and chips), the wood you use and your craftsmanship (design, fit and finish).

I think you will find buying one kit in bulk will be a mistake. You will want to experiment with different styles to see what you like and what your future customers like.

Look at experimenting as part of the fun!

jewellmd

I sold a few over the holiday season. What was most popular for me were the Wallstreet II / Sierra style pens. I turned quite a bit of these in both wood & acrylic. A few pen & pencil sets as well. I learned on the slimlines and gave some of those away as gifts. I slowly got into bolt action pens & made one fountain so far.

The advise here is pretty solid. Depending on what your customer base is like will depend on what you can sell. Make a few kits and carry them with you to show (like a show men's sampler). You'll soon discover what people like the most.

One word of advise - as you discover what sells the most, get yourself some extra tubes of that size. Even if you can run to the store to get the kit, you can always get started with the barrel. Typically pen assembly is the easiest part of the process.

-Michael

magpens

When I started pen making 4+ years ago I bought way too many slimlines, Euros, and Classic American twists. I ended up not liking any of those. I turned a few cigars and like them except for the double twist transmission, but now you can buy a replacement single twist transmission from Exotic Blanks. Shaping the cigar pen can be a little tricky IMO but you can make them look nice if you take the care. Cigars look nice in exotic woods with interesting grain patterns

I now prefer the Virage, Sierra click (not the standard Sierra twist), Aero, Sierra Elegant Beauty, including the click version, the Zodiac from Exotic Blanks. I think my favorite single-tube kit is the Napoleon from William Woodwrite ( penblanks.ca ) in Canada. It's more expensive but better than the Majestic Squire from PSI, IMHO.

I also like the Electra (cap assembly is a little tricky) and the Zen, which has a pre-assembled magnetic cap like the Zap pen.

For kits with two tubes, I like the Rinehart from Berea (really easy to make but don't know how popular it is with buyers) and the Vertex Supreme from PSI. The Baron from Berea and the popular Jr Gent II seem to be well-liked.

I think it is wise to move on to the more exotic platings if you are planning to sell pens .... titanium gold, black titanium, rhodium ... which really outperform the upgrade gold plating. Chrome and gun metal are OK also, but not as classy, IMO.

I spent way too much time on slimlines and similar with the cheaper platings (upgrade gold). I wish I had moved on to the more expensive kits and more expensive platings much sooner. Most of the more expensive kits are easier to turn than slimlines and classic American twists.

I also found out that I don't like PSI kits (except for the Vertex Supreme) as well as kits from other suppliers. If you want more details on this, feel free to PM me.

Hope this info helps a bit.

Last edited:

toddlajoie

For me, the kits that overwhelmingly get the best reception are the Cigars, Sierra/Aero (VERY different kits for us turners, many customers can't tell them apart...) Navigator/Barron/Sedona, and the "European" ballpoint (or slimline modified to look similar...)

My biggest suggestion from personal experience is to stay away from any kits that have metal on metal threads... They just don't feel smooth IMO...

Souths1der

I turned a few cigars and like them except for the double twist transmission, but now you can buy a replacement single twist transmission from Exotic Blanks.
Hope this info helps a bit.

I did not know about this. The double twist bothers me as well. I'll have to remember this next time I buy some. Thanks.

Souths1der

The answers to this question seem like the various threads about CA finishes and how everybody has their own way. I was able to navigate that by picking a little here and there, combining and that worked for me. I'm sure I'll be able to do the same with the wealth of information I just received.

Thank you for all the replies. It is very much appreciated.

BruceA

Keith - just remember every kit type requires a bushing set, which thankfully are usually @$5. For buying multiple kits for experimenting, look for the vendors that provide aggregating the number of different kits to get to discount levels - you don't have to buy five or ten of ONE kit to get a discount - just buy different kits total to get the discount. There is a well known vendor that is part of this site that offer this type of discount.

In terms of practicing your craft, look at kits that can give you TWO usable finished kits worth from one blank - like the Sierra type tube. It's 2.21" and you can easily get two pens from one 5" standard blank. This doubles your output. Also, the Sierra is easily disassembled - only the top needs to be popped off with a punch and a quick hammer blow. This means you can quickly swap blanks on a kit.

There are two different worlds - wood and acrylics. If you start with acrylics, it will be a lot easier because the finishing takes a fraction of the time, skill, and supplies that wood requires. And, if your weather is cold, you'll be especially challenged with CA finishes now. Spend a few months with acrylics and Sierra type pens, and you'll have some good, saleable production results under your belt before warm weather comes, and you try the wood blanks.

Buy a batch of tubes - like 50, of the Sierra - they're only 50cents each. Don't try to cut your own tubes. It can be done, but not worth the hassle.

Consider focusing on single tube kits for simplicity - I also recommend the Executive, which are well priced from Woodturningz and PSI. The are 2.85" length, so the only chance of getting a second blank would be to use the remaining chunk for a Majestic Esquire, which takes a 2.00" blank. And that's cutting it really close.

Hope you enjoy the turning - !

lwalper

My personal favorite of the "affordable" kits is the Trimline. I like the larger center band and the shape of the clip. Have sold quite a few of that style. They fit well in the hand and feel good to use. A similar kit is the Comfort style. Use the rubber grip - or not.

For the next price range the Majestic Squire is appealing. I have trouble selling anything more than that. It gets above the "impulse purchase" range into something they have to think about.

Dan Masshardt

Forget what anyone else likes. Turn the pens you like. You'll be proud and passionate about them. Then figure out a market.

Unless you need to put food on the table with it, this hobby is about you.

That being said you can only prob buy so many kits without considering some recoup or purpose.

You may want to get in in the csusa group buy coming up very soon.

I'll just assume you have good taste (like me - tongue in cheek ha) and order a few aeros, zens and jr gents 2s. Go ahead and start with chrome.

Top Bottom