Is there a kit like the Retro 51 Tornado?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

msimcox

I'm pretty new to pen turning, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a kit like the Retro 51 Tornado in style?

I have about 3 Tornado's and would like to make some of my own as I really like the design.

I've looked at PSI, and done some searching at my local Rockler (haven't gone to WoodCraft yet to see what they have), but since I'm new to all of this, i'm pretty sure I might have missed it if there were some.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Bad Memory

I saw a picture of one on here that was really close, It was somewhat like a Sierra but with the turned blank running all the way to the tip similar to a Polaris (no grip area)...I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though or where it came from.

JD Combs Sr

Take a look at the Apex from PSI.Not the same shape at the top but it's in the ballpark in profile
+1 The Apex would be my choice to match it. The PSI examples have some funky turning to their barrels but if the barrel was turned to the same shape as the Tornadoes, it would be a real close match.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have carried the Tornados, both the Classic and the Big Shot, for years. They are outstanding! Smooth transmission and very satisfying in the hand. I've tried all the kits mentioned in this thread, but nothing is quite the same.

Top Bottom