Is there a kit for a 2mm pencil ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Duck1968

I am looking to make a few drafting pencils/lead holders that use 2mm lead.
20601-0000-3ww-l.jpg

Are there any kits made that use 2mm lead? If not how would I go about replacing the plastic body on a store bought pencil?

thanks Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Duck1968

Thank you John. I looked on PSI's before and never found that kit. It looks like what I want. I'll give it a try.

Brian

hilltopper46

I've made one Power Pencil so my experience is very limited. However, here is what I have observed.

1. - The bushing for the nib is way off - this is one where you would do well to use your calipers to match the end of the blank to the nib size. The good news is, IIRC, that the bushing is undersized so you will want to leave the body a little proud of the bushing (easier than leaving the bushing a little proud of the nib).

2. - The mechanism that grips the lead in this pencil is plastic. You might want to post asking for experiences with longevity in this pencil. I think they give out after a relatively small amount of use.

its_virgil

Hey Brian,
Several of us replace the plastic barrel on the Pentel Sharp P20x with a wooden, acrylic, or antler barrel. You may be able to adapt what we do for the penicl you asked about. Here is a link to the instructions I wrote for doing the pentel conversion.
http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles Check out #6
I now use a step bit(like CSUSA once sold) for drilling the required hole and have a special mandrel for holding the pen blank. We can give you links to the (custom made)step bit and mandrel if you are interested in persuing this. The bit can be made to your specifications.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am looking to make a few drafting pencils/lead holders that use 2mm lead.
20601-0000-3ww-l.jpg

Are there any kits made that use 2mm lead? If not how would I go about replacing the plastic body on a store bought pencil?

thanks Brian

Last edited:

redfishsc

I made several power pencils a year ago, and I cannot stand them. I used one in the shop for a couple of months and threw it in the garbage out of frustration.

The click mechanism one NONE of the ones I made would actually grab lead from the magazine inside--- you had to stuff the new lead up the nose of the pen if you actually wanted to write with it. Now, once you manually inserted the lead like this, it would click just fine, now and then. And then sometimes not. Very hit or miss.

I love the 2mm lead. But I will not make any 2mm pencils.

Now, Don has a great idea. If you convert that exact pencil you posted with wood barrel, you'd have a great pen. I LOVE the knurled texture on that pen.

I've made several Pentel conversions and attest that the Pentel is a very well made pencil. I use a .9mm in the shop, alongside my 5.5mm Sketch pencil.

Duck1968

Thanks everyone. I took one of the pencils apart and measured the parts.
P1011633.jpg

The ID of the body tube is 4mm with the top 1/2 inch opening up to 5.5mm to accommodate the cap/sharpener. The threads on the tip end of the body are 6.1mm. I can get 5mm brass tube from McMaster-carr that has an ID of 4.01mm to use as a center tube. My thought was to cut a brass tube 3/4" shorter than the body length to leave room for the end cap. Then turn the tip just proud of 6mm and let the metal tip cut it's own threads as I screwed it on. Do ya think that would work?

I can get the Sanford pencils for less than $4 at Hobby Lobby that's $1.75 cheaper than the power pencil kit at PSI. And from what has been said I should end up with a better pencil in the end. If I can get this figured out.

Brian

Daniel

Brian, What about making a small brass piece to fit into the nib end. it could be threaded on one half and then pressed glued or whatever into the end of the barrel. I am just thinking that relying on the tip threads to cut there own threads may work once or twice but not consistently, and chances that it will go on straight are not good. basically what I am thinking of is something like the threaded adapter for the cigar pen transmission. That adapter specifically is to large for what you are doing, but it would be the same idea. I actually have two or three of the sanford lead holders so I will look at mine and see if I come up with any better ideas. I have some weird pen parts from doing Rizheng Bulk Buys so I might find something that will fit the bill for you in already made parts

Last edited:

brez

The sanford 02022 is sold under the Eagle brand as the Eagle Turquoise 10 and the Berol brand as the Berol Turquoise 10 and Berol Turquoise 11. Rockler sells a 2mm pencil that is very similar, they call it the Cabinet makers Pencil. I use the rockler pencil and it works well.

Mike

Duck1968

Those look great Chuck. I have 2 different lead holders to tear apart. I will have to get an Alvin and see whitch I like the best.

Brian

Top Bottom