Are there good antlers and bad antlers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

Tomorrow we head up into Colorado and cooler areas for a few months to escape the Texas heat. In the past we frequently ran across antlers on our outings but never gave them a thought but now see them in a different light.... pen blanks!:)

So, are there good antlers and bad antlers? Meaning, are "fresh" antlers better than ones that have been lying around for a season or two? I'd hate to wag back a bunch of antlers that turn out to be worthless.

Let me know... the clock is ticking and I'm fixing to pull the internet plug for a while!:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Antlers that have been outdoors too long and have lost a lot of their original composition might be worthless. e.g. those found hanging on barns for years. But, for the most part, found and freshly killed antlers are just fine. Very fresh will need a few weeks drying. Other than that, go for it. For pens, the smaller tines work best. With the large sections, look for knife makers to sell them to.

winpooh498

My father-in-law gave us some antler from a deer he got in the late '60s. It drilled and turned nice (except for the smell[xx(]) and held up and it looks a lot like the other antler I have seen posted here.
But that is the extent of my exposure with antler.
Have a great day!
Dawn

JerryO

I have some antler that I'd like to make a few pens out of, which pen kit is generally regarded as the most accomodating for antler pens? I would like to retain some of the outside texture of the antler. Any thoughts?

alamocdc

I picked up a set from the wooded floor a few years ago and they appeared to be too old (cracks, etc.). However, I saoked them in mineral oil for a week or so and they turned out okay.

Jerry, I've used antler in most any sized and type pen that we can make. The thing to consider is final desired size and choose material that s close to what you want to end with. Some antler will have thin "bark" and much pith so you need to keep this in mind as well.

its_virgil

to retain some of the outside bark requires some planning and judicious drilling. The hole needs to be a little off center so the bark you want to keep will not be removed when turning. Study the piece, think it through, make your plans, then go for it. Leaving some of the bark makes for a stricking pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by JerryO
<br />I have some antler that I'd like to make a few pens out of, which pen kit is generally regarded as the most accomodating for antler pens? I would like to retain some of the outside texture of the antler. Any thoughts?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by JerryO
<br />I have some antler that I'd like to make a few pens out of, which pen kit is generally regarded as the most accomodating for antler pens? I would like to retain some of the outside texture of the antler. Any thoughts?

Billy and Don have already given some good advice. But, I just can't keep my typer fingers quiet. [:p] Do try to match the size pen to the antler you have. e.g. if you have a thick hunk of antler and try to make a slimline you will end up with all very porous marrow. Too small a piece, you might not be able to drill for a Statesman or Gent. Think like a diamond cutter. Study the piece and drill carefully. Understand, there will be disasters. Drilling a straight line through a curved piece isn't easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom