Is there a formula...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

As a newbie pen turner, (only about 50 or so pens) I'm still having problems getting a smoothe transition from the nib and center ring to the wood after finishing. I'm fairly comfortable with CA and typically use 5 coats of thin and 7-10 coats of medium.

I go through the micromesh series up to 12,000 and my pens look pretty good. Is there a formula that shows how much to turn past the bushings or even after measuring the nib or center ring to know how far to turn? I've only turned slimlines and sierras so far. It's frustrating never knowing if things are going to fit.

BTW, I do turn between centers and use dial calipers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

A picture would help so we can see what you are talking about.

I don't know for sure what you mean about a "smooth transition from the nib and center ring to the wood after finishing."

Tim.

thewishman

Joe, each person's CA finish will be different from any other person's.One way to get a handle on it:

Measure your blank just before you apply your finish. Measure again after your finishing and polishing. That difference will tell you how thick your finish is, and that is how much room you need to allow.:)

Charlie_W

On blanks getting a CA finish, I usually turn the blanks about 3 to 5 thousands smaller than the measured size of the hardware. Your sanding technique will have an effect on how much you turn before sanding. This will vary with wood differences too.
I then build back up with CA larger than finished size and shave the CA to about 1 or two thousandths large, then wet sand, plastic polish and buff.
Find what works for you. Turning between centers for your final sizing and using your calipers is the way to go.

Good luck!

Tim'sTurnings

TBC is just not for me. Too much trouble stopping and measuring and stopping and measuring to get the perfect transition with a CA finish.
I just simply use the bushings for the components and use any other finish than CA. (Can't stand doing a CA finish).
Tim.

Jim Burr

Banned
TBC is just not for me. Too much trouble stopping and measuring and stopping and measuring to get the perfect transition with a CA finish.
I just simply use the bushings for the components and use any other finish than CA. (Can't stand doing a CA finish).
Tim.

A pic of any of your pens may help Tim. Lots of questions but a pen shot of what those
questions result in would be cool.

StuartCovey

Always be sure your finished blank is slightly larger than your components. Do you turn your CA to size after applying it? I always build the CA up larger than what it needs to be and shave it down to the correct size with a skew.
I find that when you make the blank the exact diameter as the component you will get an edge on the transition. Making it slightly larger creates a perfect fit for me. Usually that means finished blank about .05 mm larger, and before buffing about .12 - .16 mm larger than the components.
Experiment and see what works.
Good luck!

Last edited:

nativewooder

From what I've been able to gather from much much reading on this subject, most of the experienced pen makers might use the bushings to start, but they finish with calipers to determine when they are at the sweet spot. Calipers come inexpensive and very expensive so whatever you have will work. Just takes a little practice. Good Luck! And Have Fun!!!

keymaster61

pen finishing

Hi I used to use ca glue but felt the finish too glossy I now use chestnut products friction polish (I don't know if you can get chestnut products in usa)
but I find this gives a better finish.if you get a scratch on a ca finish you have trouble sanding it out but with friction polish it is easy

Joey-Nieves

Joe:
I make a lot of pens daily, 15 or so, I have found that in order to compensate for the CA thickness it's better to undercut just a hair at the bushings.
I use worn out bushing for the 7mm pens, but all the others I make between centers, so I remove the bushing once I'm close and then clean up the ends and measure the kit parts to be sure I'm there.

This may seem like a lot of trouble but the pens come out great. Also keep in mind that the kit parts are not perfect, so use a caliper and you'll see great results.

Joey
(pen wizard apprentice)

joek30296

Guys,
Thanks so much for your suggestions. Guess I haven't turned enough pens to realize when I've hit the "sweet spot". I'll keep plugging away and using my calipers and maybe one day I'll be as good as some of you. You're my heroes!

I've given most of my pens away, so don't have any pics. But I copied this one off the PSI site just to give an idea of what I'm talking about. (No way I'm slamming PSI) See how much fatter the wood is than the nib or center band on this slimline. Maybe it was intended to be that way, dunno.
Anyhow, thanks again for all your help.

slimline-pen-kits.jpg

Top Bottom