Is there an easier way to do this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on a pen idea where I cut a twist down the middle of two different blanks on my scroll saw.(maple and cherry in this case) Then join the contrasting blanks to form a barber pole blank of sorts. Ideally they'd be a perfect fit but I know better in real life the way I'm going about it. The two I've accomplished workable blanks from I've had to fill my cut kerf to get the halves back together.

I'm actually starting to like the stripe between the two but would like to get a more uniform stripe. Anyone done this or have any ideas as to making the halves fit better?

I can get a picture of it but the linked video gives a much better idea of what I'm doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SYe6WuFgk

jaywood1207

You have gotten further than I did. I have had this idea for several months but haven't figured it out yet. I did play around with a couple blanks about 2 months ago but haven't had time to get back at it. I wasn't trying to do 2 different woods. I was looking to use 1 pen blank and then add a contrasting veneer / lamnation in the cut line.

Jay - I started this using one wood but couldn't get the veneer(even with lots of soaking)to twist enough to work. I did get one to work by cutting it apart then glueing back together w/ 2 part epoxy mixed w/ sawdust for color but had issues due to the epoxy being soft. I got side tracked into this but after seeing some on here using aluminium cans I may have to revist the idea.

Chuckie - Thats a beauty! Can you expand on the process or point us to something/somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom