Is there a 7mm click pen kit available?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Price point has a lot to do with it --

If I was to develop such a pen component set, it would need to sell for approximately $20-$25 with a volume of about 10,000 units a year.

The price point is high, and that volume is very likely not reachable.

The volumes need to be one or two orders of magnitude higher to bring the unit price down.

At the same time, there is nothing to stop the "basement engineer/machinist" from custom producing a small run with CNC mills -- but not for sale at a commodity price.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I stand corrected. I thought I saw it in their catalogue yesterday. Thank you for the correction. Please forgive the misguided advice.

SkewedUp

So what is so special about a pen that it can't be made in a slimline click version, but a pencil slimline is no problem. I would guess there are fewer pencil kits sold than there would be click slimline pen kits sold if they were available. I'm still baffled.

And I have had a few potential customers who only wanted a click pen, not a twist.

Who knows...maybe discussions like this will make someone take notice and design a slimline click pen kit.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The pencil mechanism fits in a 7mm tube and it is nothing at all like the click mechanisms that exist for pen kits. It is the whole length of the pen and what is actually moving is a 5mm to 7mm piece of pencil lead, not a pen refill. I have never examined one to see if it could possibly be modified to work with a pen. Additionally the pencil mechanism does not retract the lead, if you want to do that you have to operate the mechanism and push the lead back with your finger.

Last edited:

Gord K.

To quote Smitty, "Cross offers a slimline sized pen/pencil ranging from around $50 to $300 in price but not with a click version..."

I have a Cross pen and pencil set and a Cross Gel Click pen. With respect, the Cross Gel Click pen and the regular Cross twist pen are almost the same diameter with the click pen being slightly larger and less than one eighth of an inch longer.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
To quote Smitty, "Cross offers a slimline sized pen/pencil ranging from around $50 to $300 in price but not with a click version..."

I have a Cross pen and pencil set and a Cross Gel Click pen. With respect, the Cross Gel Click pen and the regular Cross twist pen are almost the same diameter with the click pen being slightly larger and less than one eighth of an inch longer.
With all due respect, I've had a set of their chrome slims for 30 years myself, their gel click is in fact bigger than a slimline.

I asked a very large manufacturer who provides millions of pens (promotional and branded for different stores etc.) all over the world if they had or knew of a pen click mechanism the would work in a 7mm tube. They told me 7.8mm id was as small and they had available.

Top Bottom