thats hot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dozuki

Just aquick question to those in the know. When you glue the tube in a con cobb is it supposed to get warm whin you spray the accelerator on. it even smoked a little,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CJ

Mine did a little. I think the CA produces heat when it cures.

dubdrvrkev

CA produces quite a bit of heat when it kicks. I haven't done any cob pens but I would say it is possible due to the heat from CA. When I finish with it, it smokes everytime on my applicator (paper towel).

btboone

If you don't believe it, put a drop on your finger and squirt on some accelerator and try not to scream. It puts out serious heat![:0]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
It gets hotter if it drizzles out the sides and sticks to your hands,
Kind of like medicine, you know it's working.
You should see what it does to baking soda.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by btboone
<br />If you don't believe it, put a drop on your finger and squirt on some accelerator and try not to scream. It puts out serious heat![:0]

Bruce,

Is that personal experience speaking? [:D]

btboone

I had split a fingernail and thought that CA would be a great fix because it's tough and would hold the nail together while it grew out. Well, that part is true. I made the mistake of adding accelerator and it brought tears to my eyes!

alamocdc

Try getting it on your eye! Did that building an RC airplane back in '76. Spent 4 hours in the base hospital ER with a saline irrigation running in my eye. WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES!!!! The rest of the story is actuall quite humerous... but some other time, perhaps.

JimGo

Billy,
OK, don't leave us hanging...you DO still have use of that eye, don't you?

Ever since someone pointed out the possiblity of splashes, I've been wearing my safety glasses for just about everything I do. I also find that they reduce the amount of CA fumes that get into my eyes, which I can't help but think is a good thing!

Johnny, so what DOES it to to baking soda?????? (I know better than to ask Eagle! [;)])

Kevin Glover

Billy, did you get your story told in one of those monthly safety mishap report messages that they send out to all the commands? Thats when you know you reached the big time![:D] Kevin

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by rtjw
<br />Eagle, why give us that idea. Now I am gonna have to go and pour some CA on baking soda.
I don't know where I found it, I remember it was on a site that went into detail about CA.
Anyway the use of baking soda and CA is a modelers trick.
If you need to fill a void that can be painted or won't be seen,fill with baking soda, add thin CA and after it hardens,sand flat.
The comment made was it is harder than woodpecker lips.

alamocdc

Jim, no vision damage to the eye (accept due to age now).

Kevin, I'm not sure. I don't think it made it in Airmen magazine, but I'm sure it was briefed at Alaskan Air Command level.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by btboone
<br />If you don't believe it, put a drop on your finger and squirt on some accelerator and try not to scream. It puts out serious heat![:0]

Glad I was knocked out during recent surgery. Instead of stitches they closed me up with super glue. Ouch! [:0] Actually, CA was originally developed as a surgical adhesive.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Frank while doing that spiral glue up I got a good gash(1 gash in 120 pieces of wood)across a knuckle.
bandaid would not close the wound.
Ca and accelerant did the trick.
I had to replace the "bandage" 3 times in 2 days but it healed pretty good.

dozuki

where did my wife put the bakeing soda. My CA applicators also smoke a little. I keep a spray bottle of water by the lathe and spray each one down before I throwe it away. better safe than on fire.

Doghouse

Eagle, be careful using ca as a bandage. It will work, but NOT healthy. Band-aid makes a "Liquid Bandage" which is almost the same thing. I think it is formaldehyde that CA has the the Band-Aid stuff does not. Works great, the Doc said my job was better than some of what he had seen done by plastic surgeons. (Drove a chisel into the side of my hand.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom