That's a big hole question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Farr

I just received my Gentlemen Jr. II kits from crafts supplies. I was really surprised when they called for a 12.5 mm and 10.5 mm holes.:eek: BTW this is my first of this design. I have what I feel like is a pretty good drilling rig ( See Picture ) but the tube sure did fit loosely after drilling. I used Gorilla glue because I know it expands but I am concerned about the fit.
Am I worrying to much or did I goof up something? My 7 mm and 8 mm tubes always fit very snug.
Don

Attachments

• Pen drilling.jpg
    Pen drilling.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I'm not sure on that kit but some instructions list the wrong size bit. The best thing is to use calipers to measure the diameter of the tube to determine the proper bit.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I should mention, if you are having any out of round problems - FIX THEM before you turn the cap blank. It's easy to peel off enough material to expose the tube.

skywizzard

Don, I turned my first Gentlemen Jr. II's this week too. I used epoxy on the first two kits because like you they were not too tight. I had no problems. I then tried thick CA on two more kits. The CA did fine while turning True-Stone. I did rough up the tubes pretty good. Like you, I am very pleased with the kits.

Daniel

You will find that the fit on various kits vary. a to tight of a fit can actually be more of a problem than to loose for reasons I will not go into. loose but not to loose is fine. what to loose is will be something you will come to a feel for as you do more and more kits.

bitshird

I use a 12.5 and a Z, on all of my series II Juniors I don't own a 10.5, I really don't think the .0004 under size makes much difference.

randyrls

I just received my Gentlemen Jr. II kits from crafts supplies. I was really surprised when they called for a 12.5 mm and 10.5 mm holes.:eek: BTW this is my first of this design. I have what I feel like is a pretty good drilling rig ( See Picture ) but the tube sure did fit loosely after drilling. I used Gorilla glue because I know it expands but I am concerned about the fit.
Am I worrying to much or did I goof up something? My 7 mm and 8 mm tubes always fit very snug.
Don

Don; The hole size may vary with drilling speed and material. With the same drill bit, the hole in acrylic will be slightly larger and wood will be slightly smaller. When I first get a new pen style, I always drill a slightly smaller hole than called for, and then without removing the blank from the vise, try the brass tube and re-drill if necessary. I have a 115 piece drill set and write down the drill size on the instruction sheet for the pen.

Hope this helps.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I use a 12.5 and a Z, on all of my series II Juniors I don't own a 10.5, I really don't think the .0004 under size makes much difference.

WHAT HAVE WE COME TO around here.

Do you realize that if you just TRIPLE that error you will be off by a FULL hair's breadth!????

Don Farr

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess that I just was not careful enough and got a little wobble action going when I drilled that large of a hole. I shall see how it turns as soon as I can get out to the shop.
It's coffee time. Bye.

evanslmtd

I too use the 1/2" and 27/64" bits in wood and they seem to work just fine. I also use Gorilla Glue for most of my builds so a "little" play isn't a big thing.

TowMater

I use scrap wood to check for fit before I actually drill a pen blank on new kits.

These well ventilated scrap wood pieces are great for starting fires in the fireplace as well!!!

Top Bottom