Thanksgiving pen with dad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Had a great day today! My parents came over, dad an I hung lights and decorated the exterior of the house. After that got to come through on my fathers day gift to my dad and make a pen with him. Turned it today together and turned out great.

attachment.php

Went to assemble.....D&%@!!!!

Turns out the tube that was in the kit was too long. It's a second hand long clicker so not sure if it was the former owner or the manufacturer, very odd. Correct tube shown in relation.

attachment.php

So I'd like to repair this. I'll be able to disassemble ok. My thought is to trim a little off at the bandsaw and then chuck up and trim off until it is the correct size.

Any other suggestions? What can I use to protect the surface enough to not create marks/indentions, painters tape I assume? I know I'll have to get the trimmed end back to bushing size and refinish but want to get this right. It was a fun memory builder with dad. Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving all!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 472
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Beautiful. Great looking work. Good luck with the repair.
I never had good results trying to shorten and square a finished body. The barrel trimmer tends to grab and damage. I'll learn from this thread also.

I've never done one of these, but have you considered a spacer? If a space would work, like in the old style Sierra clickers, you wouldn't have to cut a thing. You wouldn't even have to disassemble that beauty. If you need some from those old sierras, I should have some extras, and can send you a few.

southernclay

Thanks all!

Yussef,

The sanding may be the way to go, I've got Rick Herrel's sanding jig so should be good to go. May take a while with the length but worth it. The bandsaw and then sanding should work too but will most likely just sand.

The spacer idea may work too but not sure. I do appreciate the offer and great advice!

t001xa22

Warren, I have been in this situation before, also. From what I can see in your pics, you need to remove about 1/4"-3/8"? If you have a combination belt/disk sander with a miter gauge, line the inside vertical edge of the gauge with masking tape, and also line a corresponding horizontal edge feeding into the disk sander area. After disassembly, address and gently roll the pen barrel into the disk until the correct length is reached. As long as the feed bed and the miter gauge are squared, you should not only get the corrected length, but the end will also be re-squared. You might try using a spare rounded practice tube to try this out. It worked for me without damaging the finished barrel.

GaryMGg

Turn a wood dowel to fit inside the tube so that when you cut it there is support to prevent the brass from crushing and/or becoming ragged.
I would personally cut most of it back with a sharp handsaw in a miter box before sanding and/or squaring with a barrel trimmer.

Top Bottom