Thanks Rick Herrell again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I have loved the tool Rick sells to true up the blank after finishing - it rocks. I finally purchased his blank sanding tool and turned a sanding disk out of 3/4" Baltic butch plywood to complement it. Before this I used my table saw to true up my blanks before turning them. Rick again scored a hit with me. Great tool and far better (IMO) than a barrel trimmer.

6F45D47D-26B8-471D-BA90-1FBA0DD01039_zps71gszyta.jpg

Thanks Rick!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I love mine. I would like it even better if it had a fourth position so I could use even more of my disc, but it's fine the way it is.

keithncsu

I finally broke down and bought Rick's sanding jig with the Bash discount. Used it for the first time tonight and I cannot believe how great it is!! I honestly wasn't sure if it would be THAT great...WRONG! I also picked up one of his round tool rests and it is great too. Though I should have spent more time getting it in the correct position because I ended up destroying a blank when my tool caught.

But I do have a quick question for those of you using his jig. And didn't think it deserved it's own thread so I found a recent one and hijacked it HAHA! What grit sand paper discs are you guys using? I think (can't remember 100%) I have 150 grit sticky back discs but it seemed to leave the ends of the blank/tube rougher than I expected.

TonyL

I use 120 Diablo, but have used 80 and 180. I find 120 to be good for me - for wood, acrylic, TS, MS, etc. . I haven't found anything that I would consider rough with anything other than the 80, but that can be controlled somewhat, by using less pressure. I just "kiss" and rotate the blank until I here the sound of sandpaper hitting metal. That's just the way I taught myself..probably a million better ways than mine to go about this. I use his jig with the threaded MT that he makes/sells. I set the lathe to about 800 to 1,000 rpms depending on the material..don't want to burn/melt anything.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom