Thank-yous and freebies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

A customer (who had bought two pens) just sent me another one who has ordered 14 (6 cigars, 6 euros, 1 Churchill and 1 Gent).

Naturally, I'd like to say thank you in a tangible way. Would it come off as crass if I sent her a free pen? I keep some nice euros around that I give out as corporate gifts for my PR business.

But wondering if such a thing is common or considered inappropriate among you big timers. I'm just a beginner at this pen selling stuff ... kind of in it by accident. Don't even have a shopping cart on my web page, but getting orders for all I can make.

Not complaining.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I do not give away overtly fancy pens as "thank-yous", but as drayman said, a slimline will do (the chrome slims are great--- cheap and durable). However, make it something TOTALLY different than what she is ordering. If she is ordering mostly wood, give her a nice, flashy acrylic (HUT Polygem is a GREAT slimline blank, totally opaque and no need to paint tubes). It may pique her interests in other stuff.

By the way, don't think you always have to give away something like that. My way of saying thank-you is generally taking VERY good care of them, chatting with them (even about stuff not related to pens--- being a seminary student training for ministry, I get asked questions about life a LOT.. I just listen and chat....).

Also I make sure that every single pen is packaged either in a protective sleeve (like slimlines) or a drawstring pouch (larger pens) with my business card in it. She will want her customers to be able to contact you directly if they have any questions (that, and you want them to be your new customers too!). Trust me on this![8D]

Firefyter-emt

If you are worried about the perception of giving her a pen, how about sending her a "care package" with some Ren-wax?? Even the larger 1/2 oz is cheaper than a pen. Better still, might be that nice one with the bag that someone here sells. (Edit to add sale post below)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28853

I think one of those in the velvet bag and a nice thank you card (maybe with a 10% off your next order or something) would "look" better than a free pen. Oh, and send them a Christmas card this year too. [;)]

Milpaul

I usually give a nice gift box as a thank you for repeat buyers. It makes a nice presentation for one of their pens, and won't hurt future orders!

kent4Him

Originally posted by Milpaul
<br />I usually give a nice gift box as a thank you for repeat buyers. It makes a nice presentation for one of their pens, and won't hurt future orders!

I like this idea. They may also turn around and order some more boxes.

karlkuehn

Banned
When someone sends me that kind of cash cow, I just slip 'em a $20. [:p] hehe

Really, though, as a thank-you, I always try to make them something unique. Maybe a segmented slimline made from all the offcuts of the pens you are making for the order, something along that line. I like Redfish's point about making it something different, as well; that makes good sense. Opens their minds to possibilities for the future, and also shows your versatility. [:)]

Texatdurango

To me, a "THANK YOU" is just that, a token of appreciation, not to be confused with or mistaken for an oppurtunity to make future sales or get more business from them.

That said, there are a lot of ways to say thanks like a gift certificate to a local restaraunt, a bottle of wine, a few movie tickets. Something that says you cared enough to go outside your business to find them something. But that's just me! [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom