Thank goodness for spare tubes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

I had a customer contact me and tell me that he wanted 5 more pens just like the ones he order last month. Well I got out the Curly Myrtle wood and my Baron kits and started marking, cutting, drilling, gluing, and turning. A few moments ago I got this horrible feeling in my gut (No it wasn't fruitcake) that I was using the wrong wood. Thanks to his original ticket that was on this trusty machine I now know that I should be making them out of Curly Koa. So as you can imagine I am very glad that I keep extra tubes for all of the kits I offer.
Time for a sale on Curly Myrtlewood Barons and time to make some Curly Koa Barons.
Keep this in mind the next time you place your order for kits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Talk about Dario on the spot! I regret to inform you that I had a friend bring a suitcase full of it back from the Islands a couple months ago and I was given the honor of buying some. Sorry[8)][:D]
It may be worth while tho to post a link or picture that shows the Curl in your Koa![;)]

Dario

Nah...I'll spoil the surprise that way [:D]

I have koa but never tried it yet...any insight what to expect from turning this wood?

Ron Mc

I've never had a problem with it at all. Drills great and turns good. Has a great finish to it. The only problem that I should probably warn you about is that when you are turning it it smells like a tropical beach that comes with your own beverage boy running back and forth to the bar and towel bar to keep you refreshed, tropical trees and flowers, and finally the smell of fresh fruit that is being served with your next round.
I probably need to clarify something before it is brought to my attention. The wood doesn't smell like the beverage boy! He just comes with the beach.
Enjoy turning your Curly Koa![:D]

Dario

When on the beach...I don't see any beverage boys. All I see are the ladies in their bathing suits. If someone is to serve me drinks...it better be a lady [;)]

Before I get in trouble from LOML...I only look in admiration [:D]

Rifleman1776

Yes, I've heard [;)] that things can happen. The first time I ordered brom Bill Baumbeck he was surprised I didn't order spare tubes too. He advised me that most of the better turners always get spare tubes. So now, I get a set for every kit I purchase. Of course, I still have them. Never needed any. [;)][:p][:)]

Mattmck

and, with spare tubes, you can make a pen when a customer orders it without having the kit "on hand". (assuming you have the wood already)... I Have done this numerous times.

ldimick

Dario,

Turned a Koa cigar this weekend. Fairly soft wood and the curl is not always as apparent on the outside of the blank as it is on the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom