TEXAS star

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

OK all you members from The Lone Star State, tell me what you think of this. Do you like it? This is prototype #1. Should I continue to tweak it? Think it has potential? I have my mind made up already, but was just wondering if what you think jives with what I think. Thanks!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200571622959_texas%20star.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Well...what do you know.....Finally the Lone Star pen ! and I know the secret [:)]

Given what you had to work with, I think you did a maaarrrrrrvelous job. You should be able to sell a gross of them to your Texas buddies.I don't think you would have soldered it, but, counter sunk the clip and used the star as a cap? Just a guess. Well done, even if it is a Texas pen [:D]

its_virgil

No secret. They are conchos I purchased at a Tandy Leather store. Figuring out how to make them work took some McGyvering but I think I'm onto something that will work. Oh, would you like to know how I do it? I'll try to explain.

I turn the barrel and finish it. Once the clip is on there is no mor finishg. Once the barrel is turned and finished, I tape it to the mandrel with a little of the finial end exposed beyond the mandrel. I use some small tools and turn a shallow counterbore to recess the clip ring (this is the tricky part. I just found out there is tool machinists use called a piloted counterbore that has a short pilot and will cut a counterbore to recess the clip into. I'll be getting one as soon as I find where to get one and exactly what I need. They come in various sizes.) Once the pocket for tht clip is correct, I use the drimmel to cut a slot for the clip to settel into. I glue in a short piece of 1/4" dowell, maybe 1/2" long and glue it flush to the bottom of the clip recess. The concho has a pip on it that slides into a rivit back. I drill a hole in the center of the dowell the size of the rivit pip and use epoxy to glue it all together with a small clamp holding the parts until cured.

The conchos come in various sizes and there may be some that will work on some of the other kits. They have different designs also. Turquiose is next. You know, it is really difficult to explain what is done and get the info out using only words. I hope my explaination makes some kind of sense.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Nicely done. What's the secret?

its_virgil

You are correct Anthony! Thanks and glad you like it. My shell is on the shelf looking me in the eye each time I turn. Guess it is next.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

alamocdc

Well, I guess it's time for a Texican to respond. Don, I think you may be on to something here. The process sounded a little drawn out for something I might do (too many other things to experiment with right now), but there's no doubt you'd have plenty of takers for them.

its_virgil

Maybe a meeting place in between. I continue to think of different ways to do this, and I may have just come up with a simple way to "git-er-done'. If it works I'll let everyone know. There are numerous styles of the conchos, but they all have somewhat of a Texas/southwest flair to them.[:D]
Originally posted by coach
Do a good turn daily!
Don

<br />I've gotta learn that one Don! Maybe I'll have to make a road trip to wichita falls, but it might be worth it.

its_virgil

Thanks Paul!. I just looked at some piloted counterbores.... ouch... they aren't cheap. Which online site is the cheapest for these kind of tools?
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />Don, MSC has some of the piloted counter bores with changable pilots. Good looking pen.

Randy_

Seems like I always manage to be going the wrong way on a one way streets??? The idea is clever and the technical execution is good; but.....

Pastorbill was sort of heading in that direction; but didn't quite get there. Matt Dillion, like every other marshall in the West, wore a brass star; but he worked in Kansas if memory serves me so the brass star is not unique to Texas?? Perhaps it is just me; but somehow, the brass star just doesn't conjure up an immediate and strong association with the Republic of Texas??

I remember a RW&B TEXAS flag pen that you did a while ago and that pen "INSTANTLY" said Texas to me. A brass star could evoke many different associations depending upon the individual; but that flag pen is 110% TEXAS!!

its_virgil

Good thoughts and thanks. The star is actually silver but the flash from the camera reacted with the ozone in the air around the star and caused it to turn to brass.[:D Actually I have stars in brass and silver. The picture is one of the silver ones that does look like brass, doesn't it. Would the silver say Texas any better? I don't think I will add the star to my Texas Flag pen, but maybe to my cartridge pen, or just to the top of any pen or maybe one of the other designs. Jury is still out on the whole thing. Thanks for giving your thoughts, that is what I wanted.

Thanks for the "thumbs up" Eagle. That is a "thumbs up", isn't it? [:)]

Do a good turn daily!
Don

swm6500

As a displaced Texan, it is a nice touch. It does look brass though. I think silver would look best, but then again it may depend on the pen hardware.

woodwish

Sitting in a hotel in Houston so I immediatley thought "TEXAS" when I looked at it, seems like nobody is prouder to be from a state than Texans are. You'll probably sell a ton! I wonder if I could sell them back in Florida and convince people it is a starfish? I mean tourist will buy anything that looks like it is from Florida! [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom