Termite Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pinscar

I found some beautiful spaulted pecan with burls that would make some awesome pens and bowls. It came from a tree that I have had my eye on for the last five years that has been standing dead for the last 4-5 years. They cut it down and now I have a good sized pile of wood; about one face cord. I turned a test piece before loading up and I'll try to upload an images with this posting.

I've been pealing the bark off in prep to splitting and stacking, unfortunately I'm finding termites in nearly every log. Now, the wood is good, fairly dry inside and with no punky areas. The termites are mainly living in the vascular cambium (the growing layer between the bark and the wood) and bark so the bark peals easily.

I know the easiest way to kill termites is to put them in the freezer for a day, but I do not want to put a 3 foot long by 12 inch log into the freezer. My wife is very understanding, but not that understanding. I think the main colony is back in the stump and the termites I see are the workers cut off from home and doomed to die given time. I do not think they are Formosan termites so the nest has to be tied to the ground.

I will have to store the wood outside, covered and off the ground. I would like to keep and use the wood rather that having to toss it out. Termites are a big issue here in Charleston, SC.

Any thoughts? Has anyone dealt with this issue and what solutions have worked?

Thanks,
Pinscar.

Attachments

• IMG_4425.jpg
    IMG_4425.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 135

kirkfranks

I have not dealt with this before, but the first thing that comes to mind would be to have the local pest control contractor come over and tent the wood pile and fumigate it. If they can do a whole house this should be a cake walk.

You don't want to take a chance that the little guys migrate to your house!!!

philkessling

In the past, I have just put logs in black plastic bags with some Dursban (replacement is called Ortho-Klor, I believe). This is the home pest control sold at Home Depot and Lowe's for termites and other home invading pest. I don't know what the health ramifications of working wood that has been treated this way.

Rifleman1776

This is a tough problem that I have dealt with several times. If for pens, I cut into blanks and microwave zap. That always works. But, larger pieces sometimes are hopeless. I have several large pieces of spalted Redbud in the garage that grew piles of fine wood dust around them. One is too large for a plastic bag and has rocks inside that dulled my chainsaw blade instantly. So, I dropped a bunch of moth balls inside the cavities. That was several days ago and so far, no wood dust.

Top Bottom