Tenon tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryPens

Looking for a good tool to cut tenons. On Bill's video, he talks about a 1/8th" square scrapper. I can't seem to find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

I assume you mean cutting tenons for Euro style pens. The way to go is an 1/8" parting tool. You could also make a scraper with some steel from MSC.

Rifleman1776

I use a 1/4" parting tool, it's perfect. I turn the blank to round then part down to the bushing. A 1/4" and a hair (and I do mean a very fine shave) more and it's done. Only takes a few seconds. Then finish rest of pen. Some prefer to turn the tenon last. I do it first because if the blank is going to blow up I would prefer at beginning and not after a lot of work.

GaWoodworker

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />I use a 1/4" parting tool, it's perfect. I turn the blank to round then part down to the bushing. A 1/4" and a hair (and I do mean a very fine shave) more and it's done. Only takes a few seconds. Then finish rest of pen. Some prefer to turn the tenon last. I do it first because if the blank is going to blow up I would prefer at beginning and not after a lot of work.
I agree - I always turn my tenons first. No sense in wasting effort in case of disaster...though I have not blown one up yet. -= Knock on Turned Wood =-

CountryPens

Thanks for the input guys. Sorry for my ignorance, but I am assuming you simply take the 1/8†or the 1/4" thickness of the parting tool and that is how you use it to cut the tenon. I have never used a parting tool and I see many different design ones.

Looks like Benjamin’s Best makes a 1/8†parting tool that might be good.

Thanks again

Dario

Do you have any old knife that is no longer being used? Chrome-vanadium ones work great...you can easily re-grind that into a parting too [;)] For me, that is the cheapest way to go and did I mention that it may be a lot thinner than 1/4" also?

Just be make sure you grind the knife's old cutting edge away.

CountryPens

Dario,
In your photos. Where did you get the nice display case for your pens?

Thanks, I do have some old knives, think I will try that.

lkorn

Originally posted by CountryPens

Keep in mind that you now need to have TWO parting tools, one to part small items with (the knife) and another to turn tenons. Tenons (as discussed) require a 1/8" wide perting tool in order to get the square, flat tenon necessary for the center band to press on to.

Dario

Originally posted by CountryPens
<br />Dario,
In your photos. Where did you get the nice display case for your pens?

I agree with Larry...Tenon is better cut with a regular parting tool.

That case is from PSI. If you decide to buy, go for the 36 pen capacity and not the 48 because you wlll eventually try bigger pens and those won't fit in the 48 pen display case.

Note that CSUSA, Woodturningz, etc. also carry similar cases. I bought mine from PSI because of the DVD coupon I got from them [:D]

Someone recommended to me once, to make one out of an old screwdriver.

I made it out of a $1.99 Stanley, but am still not sure how much I like it. I will probably pick up a real parting tool at Sears for 9.99.

Bill

CountryPens

Dario,

Thanks for the tip on the correct case to order. I ordered the parting tool and the 32-pen case today from PSI. Appreciate the help

mesquiteguy

I made a scraper just for the euro band out of an allen wrench and a short turned scrap handle. Once finished I ground the edge off until it was the right width so I didn't have to measure the space for the band.

Dario

WELCOME Mesquiteguy!!!

That should work too..only thing is, I measure before using the skew (to cut a groove) then use the parting tool to cut and clean it up.

KenV

My favorite parting tool is a 24 tooth per inch bimetalic hacksaw blade pointed forward in a high tension frame.

Not a tenon tool -- a small square scraper will also shape tenons. I have used a carbide insert tool on a 1/4 inch shank for little stuff. works particularly well on knarly stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom